Saturday, October 3, 2009

Tasha Tudor Lifestyle Pt 7 The Shawl



Tasha's shawl is in practically every picture I've seen of her in the cooler weather. She learned to layer to keep warm. I'm knitting a wool shawl, not the Tasha one, but one I saw in Mary Jane Farm this month. It is easy for beginners. It basically is a rectangle with a button hole and 3 buttons. I've also bought smart wool socks and fingerless gloves. I hoping to be very frugal with my heat this year. My gas fireplace really is expensive, so will keep it for special occasions.




When I have more confidence in my knitting I'd like to try a Tasha shawl I know the pattern is on line. I also have a friend that made a shawl that is also a long rectangle and you attach the end to the side of the other end and it become a poncho. I would like to make that one if I can find the right kind of yarn, hers is made with yarn she spun it's very fluffy and she used bigger needles.




When I first moved up here to the pnw I wore long underware made for being outside in the snow. I might look for some more. We lived in a draft old house at that time, my present home is new and not drafty but my legs and feet can get cold if I'm sitting around. We sometimes have mild winters, but the last few years we have had lots of snow and it's windy around here so I should be prepared this year to keep warm if it's cold again.




Linda




6 comments:

Crescent said...

I was reminded that I have to get my shawl back that has been on display at the yarn shop in Leavenworth. I'm looking forward to being able to keep warm with it this winter.

Hoping to see you in a few weeks!
Mary

Anonymous said...

Love the color of your shawl! Looks like you're doing a very nice job with nice even stitches. I wear tights under my pants in the Winter to keep warm.

Jane

Becky said...

I found this website through another blog. She has a tutorial on making cotton shawls. I have bought the material,all I have to do is start. There is no sewing involved,but pulling threads to make fringe. www.weefolkart.com and search cotton shawls. I'm going to make some for christmas. great job knitting! I've never tried to knit,but a friend does,and makes some wonderful scarves.

Unknown said...

Thanks Becky for the link, those shawls are cute. I like plaid. The site is cute also. Linda

Pam said...

Thank you so much for your prayers. I kept looking for you in my subscription list and finally came over to your Xanga site and saw you'd moved here. Not sure how I'd missed that.

You are very talented with your creations! I know I'd be cold too - I get cold easily. Ann - pondering from Xanga.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I love the color you chose. I think a shawl would be a good thing to have - I always wear layers when it's cold!

Manuela