Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Tasha Tudor Lifestyle Pt. 8 - Soup



We all know that Tasha loved soup. She considered herself a very good soup maker. I agree with her I love soup too. The last few years I've started making more soup, it's frugal and as I get older there are times I want something light. Also I can make a big pot and freeze part of it for another day.




I made pumpkin soup. This is not one of Tasha's recipes. I think I Googled pumpkin soup and used the recipes for inspiration. I knew I wanted it to be savory, not sweet and brothy not too thick. So this is what I did-


Preheat oven to 400. Cut sugar pumpkin in half and take out the seeds. Put water in the bottom of a cookie sheet (with sides) to about 1/8" deep. Place your sugar pumpkin halves flesh side down on the cookie sheet and bake for about 50 mins. or til soft when pierced with a fork.


Clean seeds and put on a cookie sheet drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast for about 20 mins. or til brown and crunchy, but not burnt. Reserve these to garnish your soup.


Cool pumpkin. When cool clean out any seeds left and stringy stuff. Take out the pumpkin flesh and puree (I used a food mill, but you can use a food processor). In a large soup pot, saute 1 sliced onion and 1-2 cloves of garlic minced, til starting to soften. Add 1 quart (4c) chicken broth and the pumpkin, a pinch of two of thyme, salt and pepper to taste and simmer about 30 mins.


Garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds. I also saw a recipe that added grated cheddar cheese. I would like to try that some time. In the photo the soup looks brown, but in reality it was a nice pumpkin color.




I love cooking with these sugar pumpkins. Another day I made a pumpkin custard, which was basically a pumpkin pie filling without the crust. It was delicious. The fresh pumpkin tastes so much better then the canned.


This would be a good time to freeze some sugar pumpkin ready for pies, custard, or soup this winter.




I also found I like leeks as a base for a soup, they have a wonderful taste and I like leek and carrot together.


Last week I used the Nourishing Traditions recipe for chicken broth in which you cook it until the bones fall apart. Very nourishing and a good way to rev up your immune system.


I always get the flu shot, but I don't really want to get the swine flu shot, so I'm looking to other way to build my immune system. I'm starting to use coconut oil and I'm going to start taking cod liver oil. If you don't know about coconut oil, read Nourishing Traditions.
Edit- I made the soup for Thanksgiving and it wasn't it good. I had to blend it because the texture wasn't right and we had to add a lot of seasoning. It never really came together. I'm not sure why, but it was ok, just not as good as the first time I made it. I need to work on this recipe.



Linda

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linda

That is such a pretty soup! So Autumnal looking. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Have a bumper crop of pumpkins this year, so I'm looking for ways to use it up. Like the idea of the toasted pumpkin seeds for garnish too!

Jane

Paula said...

Dear Linda,

Your photo is so lovely and autumnal looking! The soup sounds so delicious!!! Thank you for sharing the recipe! I love homemade broth! Nourishing Traditions is a wonderful cookbook full of helpful information and recipes! So nourishing! I am glad you are taking coconut oil.. it is wonderful and cod liver oil is great for the immune system, as well. I like leeks and carrots together, too! I recently found organic mushrooms and we have been enjoying those sauteed in butter. Then I read they, too, are good for the immune system. I love how the Lord provides food and herbs for our medicine. Love, Paula

Georgene said...

What do you think about Nourishing Traditions for the diabetic diet? Is there useful things for our way of eating?

Unknown said...

Georgene, I think it is too focused on carbs. I have the book, but really haven't gotten into it yet. I think there are things to be learned there but we have to put the low carb eating first and then add their ideas to eat as healthy as possible. The best way if you want to try something is to test after you eat it. Linda