Monday, July 6, 2009

Many People, One Nation the Land of Abundance




I finally got my fill of The Great Depression books and now I'm reading about the immigrants coming to this country. I have several books on this subject. The one I'm reading is "Many People, One Nation" by Bernard A. Weisberger. He actually starts by talking about the Puritans and the first people to start coming here. What I'm really interested in is later times so I may skip to that.






The thing that caught my interests though is the description of abundance of nature at that time. They talked about hugh strawberries and muscles so thick on the ground they were like rocks. It just made me realize how we have used the products of nature and not tried to preserve the land. I've read all these books that people are writing about our food supply and how badly we have handled it all, but I really don't think we can turn back the hands of time now. The only thing we can do is try and preserve what we have left. I'm thinking about that and what that means.






Linda


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an interesting book Linda! I love to read about our country's founders because three of my forefathers came over on the Mayflower. I'll have to check it out!

SharonLarkin said...

Preserving the land we have left is something I, too, think about more and more. It scares me to think how humans have abused, used and wasted the abundance of nature provided by God :(