Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Main Dish Salads






Last night I had a spinach salad and added avocado and shrimp. I made a dressing with my homemade yogurt and mayo, a little vinegar and dill. I was thinking I should make more main dish salads during summer.





My favorite ones are Taco Salad and Nicoise but I wanted to come up with some different ones. I was thinking about how I love cold poached salmon with cucumber sauce. So why couldn't I just add the salmon to a salad with cucumbers and a creamy dressing or make the cucumber sauce into a dressing.





I also like chicken in salads one I made once that turned out well was a spinach salad with bacon, avocado, scallions, hard boiled egg, thin sliced fresh mushrooms and grilled chicken breast. I used a vinaigrette with a little sweetness to it. I also like curry chicken and Cobb Salad.





I could make one without meat and use just beans or cheese as my protein. I love to use Feta or Goat Cheese in salads.





Ham would be a good addition to a salad, maybe a Waldorf salad with ham added or a slaw with apple and ham.





Another thing I've been looking at is chopped salads. I want to try some of those. I found a recipe for Chopped Asian Shrimp Salad that sounded interesting, not the same old thing.





I made an Italian Salad Dressing mix for my pantry thanks to Heavenly Homemaker. She also has one for Ranch.






Linda




image-allposters.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding me about Nicoise Salad Linda! I grew a new form of lettuce this year, that doesn't bolt or turn bitter in the heat, so we've been eating quite a few salads this Spring and Summer!

Jane

Flutterby Patch said...

Greetings from England Linda and thanks for dropping by Flutterby Patch. Your salady summer eating rather matches mine, I'm trying to shed those excess winter pounds also and live a healthier lifestyle. We are currently expanding our veggie patch and hoping it will have the opposite effect on our waistlines. Keep up the good work. Eli