Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Cold and Flu Herbal Remedies

I was watching some old videos I had of Martha Stewarts tv program and she had on an herbalist, Donald Yance. They were making a tea for the flu. It sounded kind of interesting.



These are the herbs they used- elderflower, ginger, peppermint, boneset and yarrow. He said that except for the rosemary they induced sweat. In the cup with the tea they also put in a wedge of lemon that Martha squeezed, some pieces of orange peel and a dropper of echinacea and honey. His recommendation was to take a couple of cups of this and then take a hot bath, then jump into bed and it should help you to sweat which will help you to get over the flu.



I haven't tried this and so I don't know if it works, but just passing the information along in case you want to try it. I noticed in Rosemary Gladstar's book she used some of these thing, but didn't use them all together. So I would think if you don't have everything it might still be helpful. He said the boneset was for that achy feeling and rosemary is good for the brain.



The other one was a steam for head colds. You put chamomile, lavender, mint, rosemary and eucalyptus in a bowl and then boiling water. Be careful that it's not too hot before you lean over and make a tent with a towel over you head and bowl. Then just let the herbal steam hopefully clear your head. He was saying that all these herbs have anti viral, anti bacterial, and anti fungal properties and this is another way of using them instead of a tea, they will help your body fight off sickness and support healing. You can use essential oil also.



Obviously if you're really sick you should see your doctor, but these remedies might make you feel better and help to shorten you illness and also help to ward off an illness.



I just love the smell of herbs and Martha was saying the steam really felt good on her skin. I would proceed cautiously though. I've had some allergic reactions to herbs, so I always start out cautiously and see how I react.



Linda

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well you learn something new every day! That boneset is a new one on me! Never heard of it!

Jane