Monday, November 9, 2009

Staging Bookshelves












I read about the idea of staging bookshelves a while back, somewhere on line. Sorry I don't remember where so I can't give credit. I already did this with some of my bookshelves, but I never thought about doing it with all of them. My armoire with the garden books was a place I like to decorate and I didn't have enough books to fill all the shelves so I enjoyed staging it.


The article I read challenged me with the idea that books lined up like little soldiers was kind of boring and that your shelves could be more interesting by stacking books on their sides and adding accessories. I've seen decorator shows where the shelves are all about decorating and have little to do with a book collection, but this was different.


I have a ton of books and never have enough bookshelves so I wasn't going to do something that mean I had books left over, but I decided to give it a try. I found that I could actually get more books on my shelves. When you stack up your books you can usually get more in. Granted it's hard to get out the ones on the bottom of the stack, so you might not want to do this with books you are using frequently.


The other nice thing about it was that I could stack and group the books by author or category. That meant that I wouldn't always have things in alphabetical order, but grouping like books together works for me most of the time.



As far as accessories it is a good place to use those small things that don't really show up on a table top unless you have a whole collection. I've used everything from small pillows to birdhouses, cup and mugs with pictures on them, small figurines. You can also prop up small books so that you see the cover or just leave a spot bare.


It is a little more cluttered looking, so you may have to edit if it's not pleasing.


Linda

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the advise LInda! This is something I can really use some help with!

Jane

Anonymous said...

Well Linda, I think the first thing I need to do is get rid of some of my books! LOL!

Jane

Unknown said...

Jane, I have problems getting rid of books too, but this process helped me to do that. Linda

Becky said...

Thanks for sharing. I'm going to post my craftroom pictures. I have a bookshelf in my craftroom,but its full of scrapbooking stuff! I've thought about adding fabric to cover it,like a curtain.Not sure yet. Go to xencourager for an update too! love,Becky

Angie said...

I love this look. I've been on my mind for a while that I need to rethink my bookshelves. You've done such a great job. But then I just love everything in your house. When can I move in?

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Your bookshelves look great! I love the little pillow! I have several shelves with books stacked on their side otherwise I wouldn't have room for all my books. You really can get more books in that way!

Manuela