Thursday, November 12, 2009

Spices Healthy and Comforting


I've found, now that I'm making my own version of Chai that I really like it. I find it very comforting, especially at this time of year. I make mine with Assam tea and cinnamon, cloves and cardamon. I would like to add other spices as time goes on, ginger, peppercorns, star anise and see how I like those. I decided to see if I could find out some of the health benefits of the spices I'm using.






Cinnamon has by far the most written about it. It is a warming spice and good on a cold day or if you have gotten chilled. I already knew it was good for diabetes, helps lower blood sugars. It is good for cold symptoms and digestive problems. It has sedative properties, is anti-clotting, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, helps boost brain function and has blood thinning properties.






Cloves help digestive problems, nausea and blood circulation. It is also a warming spice which can help reduce congestion and stimulate digestion. Clove oil is used for tooth ache and arthritis pain and stiffness.






Cardamon relieves indigestion.






I read that if you are using spices for health remedies the spices you buy in your grocery store may not be potent enough due to their processing.






I know there are a lot of other spices that have health benefit but some have warning if you are getting large doses like ginger and nutmeg. There is a lot to learn about herbs and spices.






So comfort food is gaining new meaning for me. It should be good for you as well as bringing that feeling of comfort. I also read that the smell of cinnamon has health benefits.






Linda
Post a Comment