Thursday, November 12, 2009

Spices Healthy and Comforting


I've found, now that I'm making my own version of Chai that I really like it. I find it very comforting, especially at this time of year. I make mine with Assam tea and cinnamon, cloves and cardamon. I would like to add other spices as time goes on, ginger, peppercorns, star anise and see how I like those. I decided to see if I could find out some of the health benefits of the spices I'm using.






Cinnamon has by far the most written about it. It is a warming spice and good on a cold day or if you have gotten chilled. I already knew it was good for diabetes, helps lower blood sugars. It is good for cold symptoms and digestive problems. It has sedative properties, is anti-clotting, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, helps boost brain function and has blood thinning properties.






Cloves help digestive problems, nausea and blood circulation. It is also a warming spice which can help reduce congestion and stimulate digestion. Clove oil is used for tooth ache and arthritis pain and stiffness.






Cardamon relieves indigestion.






I read that if you are using spices for health remedies the spices you buy in your grocery store may not be potent enough due to their processing.






I know there are a lot of other spices that have health benefit but some have warning if you are getting large doses like ginger and nutmeg. There is a lot to learn about herbs and spices.






So comfort food is gaining new meaning for me. It should be good for you as well as bringing that feeling of comfort. I also read that the smell of cinnamon has health benefits.






Linda

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds so good Linda! Didn't know that cinnamon was so good for you. Finally something that tastes wonderful and is healthy!

Jane

Flower Farm Wife said...

Linda, just wanted to tell you that your blog is beautiful. I love checking in to see what is new.