Monday, January 4, 2010

2010


I'm not making resolutions this year. At least not so far. I have a lot of projects I want to do like sewing.


I don't use my machine much and so I don't feel very confident with it, so I want to do more machine sewing and get use to my machine. Mine is very basic. I just made another apron and as usually I hand sewed most of it because I'm more comfortable with hand sewing. I am looking for projects that don't cost a lot or use what I already have. I have a lot of quiting fabric from the days I quilted. Like knitting it is something I do a little of every now and then but never get beyond the basics and sort of have to relearn every time I want to do it. So I'm hoping to use some of that fabric.


I'm also in the mood to declutter, deep clean, reorganize and rearrange my rooms. Yesterday I tried rearranging my guest room, but I'm not through with it. I'll take a picture when I'm done. I'm trying to lighten up my rooms and get rid of some of the stuff. Taking apart a room and redoing it is one of the ways I get myself to declutter and clean. I don't go in my guest room much and so it gets kind of neglected. It does stay orderly, but gets a little dusty.


I want to work on new recipes. I eat better when I'm cooking otherwise I tend to eat snacks. I posted on my kitchen blog that I'm taking a cookbook "The Perfect Recipe" by Pam Anderson and cooking from it for a while. My first recipe I'm making is a stir fry that uses a lemon sauce. I don't think I've ever had a lemon sauce with a stir fry before. It has sugar in it. The stir fry has chicken, mushrooms and pea pods, but the store I shopped at didn't have any so I'm using peas. I'm sticking with low carb and cheap recipes.


The first thing I usually do every year is get my budget book and files ready for the new year, but I have the month to do it.


My dd and I were talking about my living room. I'm feeling that I always go with subdued colors and that it is looking a little too beige, so I want to make some pillows and look for some things to bring in some pops of color. I don't want to spend much so it would mean shopping trips to look for bargains or some creative solutions like paint. I'm not very crafty so we'll see how that goes.


So these are just some of the things I hope to be working on this year. I guess I do have goals I just hadn't written them down. They were evolving in my head.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like we have some of the same goals this year. I'm making new pillows for my living room too. I was inspired to make some crazy quilt ones after watching Little Women. Movies can be wonderful sources for decorating inspiration!

Jane

Unknown said...

Jane, I've always wanted to try a crazy quilt. Pellows would be a great way to do crazy quilt, not too big. Linda

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I'm in the mood to deep clean and re-arrange my rooms too. I'm sure you'll get the hang of your sewing machine with no trouble at all. I'm still trying to get used to mine but I haven't used it very much. One of my goals this year is to become more comfortable with it and make some things for the house.

Manuela

Porch Days said...

It sounds like you have lots of plans! Machine sewing is fast but hand sewing can be very satisfying.