Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Color for Porch








I looked at my porch one day and thought it is so drab, it has no color, nothing is in bloom and it needs some color. So I got the idea to make an oil cloth table cloth for the table, which I think turned out really well. You can't tell in the picture but it has a scalloped edge. I need to pain my chairs one of these days.
Next I found the English Daisies and the cute stripped pot. I love these daisies and I found out they are perennials so I could put them in the ground at some point.
I went back and got more daisies for my bench by the door and these green bamboo pots. You can put you plant directly in the bamboo pots and later plant the whole thing in the ground and they will disintegrate. Actually I got them because I liked the bright cheerful green. I have a dark eggplant door and a light yellowish house and wasn't sure what colors to put with it, but I ended up treating both as neutrals because they are subtle, it worked.
Last I found the welcome flag. I was looking for something to hang on the wall like a peace of art, so I choose to hang it on the wall rather than as a flag. We have strict CC&R's about what can go on your outside so I don't know if I'll get a complaint that it is too big. I hope not. I really didn't think about it when I bought it.
I've been wanting to start working on my veggie pots on the back porch but we have been getting some cold weather still and frost. I still may try some lettuce and put it close to the house.
Linda

9 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I love your color filled porch. The table cloth turned out really nice. Love the pink flowers in the pots. The leaves look like lettuce to me. I hope they don't make you take down your flag, it adds to your cheerful welcome.

Have a lovely afternoon.

FlowerLady

Barb said...

It looks like you are ready for Spring! I love the English Daisies - they are so pretty. Where did you get your oil cloth, it's so colorful and cheery, all I can find is red and white check.

I always love to visit your blog, your posts are so fun!

Blessings,

Barb

Unknown said...

Thanks Barb, I went to a fabric store called Pacific Fabrics, they have a great selection of fabrics. Maybe you could find them on line.
Linda

Unknown said...

Barb, What I meant to say is that maybe you could find oil cloth on line. Linda

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I LOVE the pattern and colors on your tablecloth! Soooo pretty! Those flowers look so cute in those pots - so cheery! Have you thought about painting your bench?

Manuela

Unknown said...

Manuela, I was going for a rustic look when I had it made out of old wood, now I'm not sure. I might eventually. Linda

Barb said...

Linda - Thanks for the website, I will check into it. I love oilcloth, it reminds me of my grandmother and mother . . . and I guess, just a simpler time.

Thanks again,

Barb

Nancy said...

You really added some color. It looks great!

La Tea Dah said...

Beautiful! I love the way you hung the flag. Mine has been waiting for a new flag pole, but now I see I don't need one! Yours is so easy to see this way.

LaTeaDah