Monday, March 22, 2010

Containerize Your Pantry




I saw this idea somewhere on line, but can't find it again. Anyway they had used beautiful containers that matched their kitchen. I already have my pantry divided into like things together, and I had used some containers and baskets. I wanted to continue that idea and do more of it and try and find some pretty red containers to match my kitchen. I looked at every place I could think of around here and couldn't find what I ideally wanted, so I've decided for now just to use what I have. So I've containerized my beverage mixes like hot chocolate and Cafe Mocha. I also put all my beans, lentils and grains together. I have another container for all my chocolate and dried fruit and another for sweeteners. I already had my herbs and spices in small baskets. I have a basket of just different kinds of salt.




I wish I could have found the original post because she had different ideas and categories than I do. We are all going to do this differently as we have different kinds of foods. I don't use many processed food, but pretty much cook from scratch. I think snack foods was one of the catagories I saw. So why am I bothering? I already had my categories together, but I found that they don't stay separated and so I think the container is the way to keep things where they belong and hopefully will make finding them easier.




I would like to dress up my shelves with oil cloth, but don't want to spend the money right now. I still hope to find the red containers, maybe on line, but this way I can see if it really works and is worth the expense.



I found that you don't want something too tall, you can't see what's in it and if you pantry has a door like mine you can't get the boxes on the sides out without moving other things, so you want to be able to just reach in. Something a little deeper than a tray is good. The wooden box I have I found at a craft store with their unfinished wooden things. I could paint it later and get my red that way. For my chocolate I needed a deeper basket because I have a lot of bags. I buy chocolate in bulk of different kinds. I do put a lot of my bulk items in canning jars, but that doesn't work as well for large odd shapes of chocolate pieces.
One thing that's nice about my pantry is that it has fairly deep shelves and that is another reason why the container helps to see what is in back. You can pull it out like you would a draw even if you can't take it out. Depending what you have in them they can be heavy.
I reorganized my pantry because I'm doing more baking and I have some new ingredients I didn't have before, so things were getting messy. Now it's nice and neat again, for a while.




Linda

6 comments:

Barb said...

This is such a great idea - I love to use containers to sort things out! I don't know about you, but it's much easier for me to just pull down a container, than sort through 10 different jars, boxes and bottles to find what I need. Very nice!

Blessings,

Barb

P.S. I love that you have lots of chocolate - my kind of blogging buddy!

Gayle said...

Why do pantry's get so out of control? It seems like they just do. I love these ideas.

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Hi Linda! I love this idea!! Our pantry is akin to a very deep closet and things can get lost in there very, very easily. :) I've always coveted those roll out drawers but couldn't afford them when we moved in or, when the budget allows, have other things to spend the money on. Thus, I adopted a similar container philosophy as well...using bins my husband had bought to organize his garage!! I really, really like keeping like things in the containers. If I need to see what's in the back, I'll just pull out the front containers to get to the back etc. . It also makes for much easier clean up. If the honey or syrup leaks you need only clean the container and bottle...not the entire shelf! Plus, when I need to bake, it's so easy to pull out the container holding all my baking supplies and get to work! I think you'll find that you appreciate it as much as I do. As for investing in prettier containers that match my kitchen...I still haven't done that yet!! I'd love to see the ones you decide on...your ideas are always so pretty and useful!!
Warmly,
Tracey
x0x

Flutterby Patch said...

Great minds think alike Linda, I'm in the process of containerising myself here at my home England..... a bit of a long job! Thanks for dropping into Flutterby Patch. Eli

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

That's a great idea to group like items together. You could make your own decorative containers. You could decopauge them and paint them. They do have spray paint made for plastic (saw Clarice's comment).

Manuela

Unknown said...

Manuela, I'm not very good at crafty things, but if I get inspired I will give it a try. I am enjoying the containers though, so much easier to find things. Linda