Sunday, May 23, 2010

Superfoods



Kitchen Stewardship has some missions about superfoods. She also has some lists of health problems and which superfood is good for them.



I already eat a lot of them, but thought it would be a good idea to try and eat them a little more often. When I first read her list I started to add salmon, when it's on sale and turkey. There are two foods I didn't eat very often.



This week I want to focus on a few superfoods and try to make sure I get them in my diet this week.



They are spinach, I got some nice fresh spinach at the farmer's market. I could make a spinach salad or saute with garlic another superfood.



Berries, I have a lot of frozen raspberries and blueberries in the freezer from last summer and I want to use them up. I may make some smoothies with yogurt a superfood. I made some Saturday with the fresh raw goats milk. I've been enjoying the strawberries in the stores now, when on sale, they make a nice healthy dessert dipped in dark chocolate another superfood.



Carrots, I got the baby ones easier for nibbling, so going to try and have some healthy snacks this week. I also love radishes which I got a farmer's market and celery. So I will make a raw veggie plate.



I also have some tomatoes that could go on that plate. I bought them to make a greek salad one of my favorites.




Red pepper is also good on a raw veggie plate maybe with a healthy humus dip. Beans are another superfood, but I can't eat too many of them because of the carbs. Also I made roasted red pepper mayo this week see In The Kitchen for how easy it was. You can find a link on my


In The Kitchen sidebar for Kitchen Stewardship. At the top click on lists and you will see superfoods.



Many of these superfood are protective of cancer and heart attacks, good for diabetics, high blood pressure, boost your immunity and much more. If you want lots more information The World's Healthiest Foods is a place you can look up individual foods and get lots of info, maybe more than you want. I looked up spinach here.



Here is a recipe for Spinach and Artichoke Dip. Artichoke is another superfood. This would be excellent with my raw veggie plate or for a party. This site is all spinach recipes.



Here is a Banana, blueberry, peanut butter and yogurt smoothy. That sounds interesting. Here is a Simple Summer Smoothy that has frozen cherries as well. I hadn't thought of freezing cherries, good idea. This is All Recipes you can look up frozen berries and come up with all kinds of recipes.




Sweet Red Peppers are not really my favorite. I prefer the green ones, but I just think maybe I need the right recipe. Here is a Shrimp Scampy which I love with red and yellow peppers.




So that's my plan for the next week or maybe two.




Linda






1 comment:

Paula said...

Dear Linda,
Thank you for sharing about superfoods! They all sound so yummy! I eat a lot of those foods too. Thank you for sharing the links as well! Have a good week! Love, Paula
P.S. Your photo is lovely!