Saturday, June 12, 2010

Herb Markers



While my gd and I were walking on the beach I saw these shells and got the idea to use them as markers for my herbs.

I have 21 herbs now.One of the interesting ones I got this year is Lavender Scented Thyme. I love thyme and also have English Thyme and Lemon Thyme.

This French Mint is from last year and I loved it because it is not too strong, it has a real nice mild taste. I have three other mints, Pineapple Mint, Curly Mint, and Peppermint. I would like to get Spearmint, I like the flavor of it.

I got a Lavender to put in a pot this year because the landscapers spray our lawns and I don't know if it is getting into my Lavender that are in the flower bed. I use those for potpourri, but I wanted some for teas.

I wanted to get some of the herbs I used last year and got a second lemon balm because it is used in a lot of things. I also got lemon verbena for tea and sage for tea and culinary.

So those are some of the ones I'm growing this year plus several others. I have the usual parsley and chives, rosemary and oregano for cooking.

Linda

7 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Linda!

What a great idea, I so wish I lived closer to the coast! The shells I gather there are such treasures to me - I don't think I want to write on them, but it's such a wonderful use for them if you live close to the sea.

Your herbs are so pretty, I too love the scented thyme - such possibilities! I planted lemon balm this year, something new for me, and I am so looking forward to creating with it.

Just a note about my health. I do have gallstones :-( I'm afraid I will be getting them removed in the near future - not sure on any dates yet. But, it is a relief to know that that is all it was, it's a simple surgery, so I am prayerful that all will go well. Thank you so much for your care and concern, you are a treasure to me.

Hugs,
Barb

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

You have a great selection of herbs, and what a fantastic idea for plant markers.

FlowerLady

A Woman that Fears the Lord said...

I just picked up some thyme. Do you know how to harvest it? Or anything about growing it?

Unknown said...

About the thyme, I found most herbs to be pretty easy to grow and esp. thyme. Last year I tried to grow a few inside starting in the fall and the thyme and orgegano both died on me. I couldn't seem to give them enought water, they were always dry. Lemon thyme is suppose to be more tempermental, but I've had one in a pot for several years on my porch and it is still going strong. A few time I though I was going to lose it. I found out that herbs in pots seem to need more water. I was talking to someone at the nursery about the lavender I just bought and we were saying the type of soil can make a difference. So I think I need to do more research. The other thing is I use diluted fish emultion to feed my herbs. So that's my experience, I don't really know what I'm doing, but am trying to learn. I let you know if I find out anything specific. Linda

Unknown said...

To clarify the herbs in the ground have been easy, no problems, it's the one in pots that can be more of a challenge. Linda

Anonymous said...

Great minds think alike! I use Long Island clam shells as plant markers in my garden. They are so pretty and very appropriate since we live three blocks from the Great South Bay.
I need to go to the beach to collect some more. They are pretty outlining the edges of a garden too.

Nancy said...

Using the shells as a plant marker is a great idea. The cheap markers don't last. These are much better!