Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My Back Porch






I've been working on getting my back porch pulled together. I've been planting a lot of herbs and flowers along with a few veggies. I decided this year to mix the plants together in some of the pots. So I have herbs and flowers in the same pots. I usually separate them. We'll see how that works. I use the old step stool as a place for some of my herbs.

I started thinking about how many herbs I had to buy last year for my teas and remedies I wanted to try. I can grow them all, but I'm definitely growing a lot more herbs this year. They don't get that big in pots and with our short summer, so I'm getting more than one of the ones I use a lot of like lemon balm.

I have a few veggies, but not a lot. I've done well with tomatoes and lemon cucumbers in the past so I'm doing those. I'm trying bush bean this year to see how they do in a pot. My garlic hasn't been harvested yet, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they did. My porch isn't very big as your can see so I can't do things that really spread like squash.

If the garlic does well I would like to try onions next time. So far we are having a cool year, but hopefully we will have enough heat for these plants to thrive.

Linda

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Your patio looks wonderful Linda. I have 3 pots this year with vegetables and herbs. I planted various lettuces and parsley. We have thyme growing in our garden. I had spring onions last year and they did not get big but tasted good. I looked for them again this year but they did not have any.

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

Unknown said...

I did have lettuce, but for some reason I don't use it. I prefer the lettuce I get at the Farmers Mkt. I'm trying to learn from what hasn't worked for me. Linda

Barb said...

I love the flowers and herbs mixed together - they look so pretty. I think herbs have very pretty leaves, that compliment the flowers.

Your porch is lovely, I love the step stool with the flower pots on it! And I'm sure Clarice is right, it's even more lovely than the pictures!

I hope we get some good warm sunshine soon - I planted lots of flowers in pots also, and I want them to grow so it will as least FEEL like summer!

Hugs,
Barb

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Your porch looks just wonderful! I love all the colorful pots and the red tomato cage!

To answer your question, it's mostly me that takes care of the gardens. It's a full time job between the veggie gardens and the flower gardens. I often feel like a grounds keeper! My husband will help when I ask for big projects but honestly, he never knows if things are weeds or not. So I'd just a soon do it myself!

Manuela