Thursday, June 3, 2010

How I Like My Homemade Cleaning and Bath Products



I have been wanting to get some kind of a cheese shaker to put my baking soda in. Someone was talking the other day about cleaning their cups with baking soda and that reminded me that it would be a lot easier to do if I had a shaker, so I got this one at my local grocery store. The top is rubber and when you push in the center it exposes the holes. So now I can just shake on a little baking soda when I want to clean a cup or my sink.

I also wanted to show off my new Anthropology cup. My dd got it for me, she has one just like it.

I just made my second batch of bath bombs. I like them and use them instead of bubble bath.

I'm also liking the shampoo I made and so far my hair looks and feels very good.

The deodorant works really well, I haven't smelled since I started using it.

The toothpaste seem to be working. My only reservation with it is that a lot of it ends up in the sink and it is primarily coconut oil. I wonder if it is clogging up my plumbing. Also I made it with spearmint because I feared peppermint would be too strong, but actually the spearmint isn't strong enough,you don't get the refreshing feeling in your mouth. So I'll use the peppermint next time.

My cleaning products are working well, except sometimes I just need something a little stronger, I don't have the elbow grease to scrub real hard. The bathtub is one area that I've started to use a natural cleaner from the store when the soap scrum builds up. So I'm still learning. Here is the link to my orginal post for the bath and body products.

Linda

5 comments:

Barb said...

I am so envious of your cup - it's beautiful, you have a wonderful daughter! I also really like the baking soda shaker, I am always reaching for the baking soda to clean something, what a great idea.

It's so good to hear that you like the homemade cleaners - you always see people post about making them, and then, that's it, no more about them - so it's good to hear about their effectiveness - I'm definitely going to try the shampoo, I really need something that is gentle. I use a lot of Dr. Bronner's cleaning products, but they can get pricey, so it's good to know that we have some good, safe, earth friendly alternatives.

Have a wonderful week-end!

Hugs,
Barb

Paula said...

Dear Linda,
Your photo is lovely, and your new Anthropology cup is so pretty! I love your idea of putting baking soda in a shaker! Natural cleaners are wonderful! Adam also uses a store bought natural cleaner (7th Generation) for the shower. I am glad everything you are trying is working well. I make my own powdered toothpaste too, and love it. I use Aubrey Organics for my deodorant and shampoo, I haven't tried making any homemade. Thank you for all you share~ you are so inspiring. Love, Paula

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

What a cute cute cup! Love that photo. It was good to read your review as I had wondered about the "beauty" products. I do make my own cleaners and you do have to scrub harder at times. But I also buy Method or Seventh Generation products when they're on sale and although eco friendly they seem stronger than homemade.

Manuela

Georgene said...

Hi Linda,
Did you post the recipes for the shampoo and toothpaste? I'd be interested. I'm planning on changing over to natural cleaners when I run out of the current store bought ones I own.

Nancy said...

I've been taking a break from blogging as I pack and move. Now I'm in the sit and wait phase. Will have to spend some time reading your past posts to learn about the home made cleaning products and shampoo. You have a lot going on!