Monday, May 31, 2010

Reading and Thinking


I'm sitting here enjoying my Spiced Coffee. It turned out very good. The link is here in previous post.

I've been reading a blog that I loved and printed up. She is no longer blogging, but I liked to reread it every once in a while. I was thinking about how much I've learned from other peoples blogs. I find them very inspirational. This lady lived and wrote about many of the things I'm trying to do. Others have written about the same things, but so many of her ideas were right on with what I want my life to be.

I was reading some of her posts on seasonal ideas and schedules. She changed her schedule with the seasons. I've never thought about it, but I guess it's true that life changes with the seasons. I'm walking every day I can and playing with my container garden, my cooking has changed to seasonally fresh and lighter foods. Days are a lot longer so I wake up earlier.

I was thinking as I read that we can celebrate the change or we can ignore it. Celebrating change makes life more interesting and changing things like the decor give daily life a fresh new feeling.

Tomorrow is considered by some as the beginning of summer although the official day isn't until later in the month. So I want to think about how I can celebrate summer and enjoy the season. Last year I did a lot of preserving of produce and I want to make a list for myself of what worked and what didn't and make plans to try some new things this year. I also want to, later in summer, do some more things with herbs. I had a lot of fun with them last year. I think I need to clean out the freezer to have room for new stuff. Freezing tomatoes didn't work well. I think this time I'll stick with the sauce and freeze it. I learned how slimmy some veggies can get.

I'm hoping my walks will turn into longer jaunts of enjoying the outdoors.

What are your plans for summer?

Linda

13 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Linda!

I love that your playlist comes on when I open your blog - I love to hear what others listen to.

I think it's also interesting to find out how others do thing, and what their schedules are. I also refer to a blog that is no longer active (I wonder if it's the same one?)

I would love to plan for summer, but will we get on this year? It has been so cold and rainy this year - I hope I get a chance to put in a garden!

Summer plans . . . hopefully a garden! I also want to go through my closets and organize. I also want to make a plan for myself and my husband to simplify our lives a little more, to become more self-sufficient. I think that's a good start.

Hugs,
Barb

Unknown said...

Barb, We somtimes have very short summers, but I hope to make the most of whatever we get. It is warming up here, but we are still getting this misty rain part of the day. HDH are the initials of the blog, is it the same? I did all my organizing this spring, but decluttering is something I have to keep doing. The stuff just keeps coming back. Linda

Becky said...

Summer plans....I don't know. It seems to fly by so quickly. We aren't going on a vacation. I have a small garden I'll be tending.My daughter and family moved to a small town about 20 minutes away.Hopefully I'll be helping her with organizing-who knows when it comes with her! We have 5 birthdays in the summer-3 in July. My days are busy because of work,so I take one day at a time,I guess.

Anonymous said...

Boy isn't that the truth? My schedule is so busy in the Summer that I hardly have time to take a breath. Good luck on your simplifying Linda! Hope you will have a nice warm (but not too hot) Summer.

Jane

Unknown said...

Becky, I'm glad to hear your dd is living closer so you'll get to see family more often, hopefully. Our birthdays are mostly in the spring, only 1 in summer. It sounds like you need to do something for you. Linda

Unknown said...

Jane, I know you will be busy in your garden. I hope you enjoy all those things that are in your schedule for the summer and have some fun. Linda

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Oh I try to celebrate each season in my own way. I usually change the way things look to a lighter look and of course, what I cook and eat changes too

I'm sorry frozen tomatoes didn't work for you. I always freeze mine and I have one more bag left. I only cook with mine or make salsa with them. But I have green ones on the vine so hopefully soon we'll have some fresh.

Now I'm intrigued by the intials of the blog - I'll probably think about it all day!

Manuela

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Just saw your comment on my blog. The microwave is an LG. Thanks for your sweet comments - there are other kitchen photos on my blog.

Manuela

Troy said...

I keep waiting for Spring to get hjere. It was in the 30's one week, and in the 80's the next. I guess we just skipped Spring this year and are going straight from Winter to Summer.

I will have to stop and rethink all my Springtime plans now.

Unknown said...

Troy, Even though I'm complaining about the rain I do like spring and would hate it if we went straight into summer. I just need to learn to get outside even if it's a little damp. Linda

Unknown said...

Clarice, Wait until next week, it's coming. Love, Mom

Heidi said...

I think going with the seasons is a natural part of life and we feel balanced when we do. I hated spring and summer so started blogging (my old blog CelebrateTheSeasons) to start to appreciate what each season brings. It worked and I started to appreciate spring and summer.

We never know what our summer will be like here in Holland. They can run hot and humid or cold and wet. But now that we have our tiny cottage in the woods, we notice how interconnected we are with the seasons regardless of the weather. We appreciate what life brings so much more. Perhaps getting older in life brings this to pass too?

I think we can all easily connect more to nature just by eating seasonal things. I get the greatest joy from stopping at a farm's roadside stand to buy something that they picked directly from their garden.

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

Unknown said...

Heidi, I didn't really love spring until I moved up here to the Pacific Northwest. In Calif. we didn't have much of a spring. Is your old blog still there? It sounds like an intriging subject. Linda