Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Ladies Mantle




I have this very large Ladies Mantle. I love the lime green color of the flowers. This is another flower that I like to cut and bring in for bouquets. I like to let it dry and use it all winter long. It look lovely along with the lavender.

Here is a link about drying although I just put it in a vase and let it dry.

It does have medicinal uses when made into a tea, but it also has warnings, so I don't think I'll be trying it.

I took a class is drying flowers several years ago. It was a lot of fun. Here are some of the various ways to dry different flowers. This site tells you what flowers are best for drying and has several different methods like microwaving.

I haven't done this for a while, but I'm thinking of trying it again. I also have a press for flowers that is fun or you can use an old telephone book.

I wanted to let you know my laptop screen has been fading out on me and so if I disappear for a time it's because I've taken it in.

Linda

8 comments:

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Thank you for that site! One of the things I want to do next year is have a raised bed cutting garden and I want to include flowers that would be good to dry.

The Ladies Mantle looks beautiful in that pitcher!

Manuela

Barb said...

Hi Linda!

The Ladies Mantle is beautiful, I love the pitcher you have it in, very pretty!

I have dried flowers in the past, and I know there is a secret to keeping the flowers from drying and falling off - I need to learn that secret :0) But, I think it's wonderful to keep some of that beauty that we loved so much in the summer, when it's cold and blustery outside.

Good luck with your computer, hope it's nothing big!

Hugs,
Barb

A Woman that Fears the Lord said...

I don't think I've ever seen this flower in Ca. It's lovely and what a nice arrangement it makes. How are you feeling? Are you back to your normal self? I sure hope so!

Heidi said...

Hello Linda! I love Ladies Mantle and have some growing so beautifully up at Cranberry Cottage. I think our extremely cold winter has done many of my flowers good. They seem to be happier blooming this year. Perhaps I will pick some for a vase this weekend when we go up to the cottage. I also love your vase. The simple pattern around the top is so beautiful.

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

Unknown said...

Georgene, Ladies Mantle is an herb. I'm not sure if it grows in Ca. I didn't discover it until I came up north. I seem to be ok as far as the Vertigo. Linda

Unknown said...

Heidi, The pitcher is made in Portugal. I love it too. Linda

Flower Farm Wife said...

Hi Linda,
It has been a long while since I have checked in with you and my own blog too. My daughters and I did a mid June wedding and the bride's colors were brown and green. We used and used some more lady's mantle. It is such a lovely filler.Don't you just love the way water beads up on the leaves.
Looking forward to cooler days here in the PNW.
Blessings, Joann

Nancy said...

Ladies Mantle is not a flower I am familiar with. What a lovely color it is. Great that it dries well. I love to collect things and dry them!