Thursday, July 28, 2011

Reading Tolkien-Obsession


This is another photo from the beach. I'd love to see the view from those windows.


I've finished The Lord of the Rings and now I'm starting The Silmarillion also by Tolkien. I've really enjoyed these. I liked them better than The Chronicles of Narnia. I was moved by many things in the stories, the courage and bravery of the main characters. I thought the story really showed the effects of an evil obsession on a person. We don't realize sometimes that we are selling our souls to our obsessions and then they become addictions. There were prices to be paid for the bravery and for the evil. I also saw compassion for a person (Gollum) that was trapped by his obsession (the ring), by Frodo because he knew the strength of the power of the ring and he knew he could end up in the same place. It showed that we need to have compassion for those that are trapped in the clutches of an obsession. Maybe you don't think that would ever happen to you, but it can and even as a Christian I know that I have to rule my emotions and my body or they will rule me. God's grace gives me forgiveness, but I'm still responsible for choosing to ask for it and as a result choosing to turn away from that which calls me into bondage.

I hope this isn't too heavy or preachy, but I just thought I'd write a little about how this series spoke to me.

I've been feeling I'm in some sort of transition, but I haven't figured out what it is yet. I feel restless and like I want to change things up a bit, but also like I'm waiting for something. So we will see.

I'm trying to get up the motivation to get into the kitchen more and do some cooking, but I've been really lazy and not too hungry.

Linda

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Hi Linda! I admire you for starting a Tolkien. I do not think I would ever start reading something like that. I do however know we go through periods like you are going through and it is best to not fight it but let the moment speak to you. I went through a major time of it that lasted too long because I fought it. It was due to my transition of really becoming part of my adopted country. Really part of it which happened after having been here for some time. You will come out the other side feeling much better for it.

I am finishing a really nice book this week and then diving into my Laura Ingalls Wilder books I told you about. I cannot wait!

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

Nancy said...

Reading is a wonderful thing. It takes you out of your life and into other places. When I finish a good book I feel sad for a few days because I miss the characters. Nancy