Sunday, October 9, 2011

More About Decorating, Eating Well and Crochet Lessons



I've been enjoying following these Learning to Crochet lessons. Even though I crochet I've been learning things I didn't know. I'm hoping she will do a knitting one after this is done. I would also like an advanced crochet course, so after I finish this I'll go looking for that. I'm sure Ravelry has something. I've found so many fun projects on Pininterest like this tutorial on a new stitch, the star stitch. I'm still working on Christmas gifts. I feel so smug when I see people say OMG Christmas is only 12 weeks away. I've got 2 projects done and am working on 2 more.



I got some of the little pumpkins to add to my decor. I like having something real. I can't afford to buy too much this year but I got one big one to make into a jack-o-lantern for the porch. I like to layer my decorating. I start out with the basics and then start to add the details. I was thinking about how decorators say you should use bold statements, but at this time of year I think small vignettes are more intimate and cozy.



I got this photo off of Pininterest, isn't it gorgeous. It originated at sunsurler.tumble.com, but when I went to the site it was blank.



I've been reading these French women books, "French Women Don't Get Fat" by Mireille Guiliano, her cookbook "The French Women Don't Get Fat Cookbook" and "French Women For All Seasons" also by her. She gives good advise on moderation and how to do that, not totally giving up things but keeping them for special treats. She claims that the French woman eats 3 meals a day and no snacking also they eat 3 or more courses but small portions. The idea is to enjoy your treats like dessert in the context of a meal. They take a long time to eat a meal and linger over the table talking and slowly making their way through these different courses.

 In her second book she does admit that these ways are changing and you are seeing more overweight people in France. People don't want to make the time for a real meal in the middle of the day like they use to and fast food is becoming more popular with the young. The culture use to really dictate what people did but I guess things are changing.

What I got out of the books is what I'm trying to do in my life right now, to slow down, pay attention to detail and try as much as I can afford to not compromise on quality. I think we eat way too much and also waste a lot and what I would like to do is to make my meals little jewels that are beautiful and delicious like the tapas idea. However that is a tall order and I'm not sure I can do it but that is my goal, baby steps.

 I have a lot of bad habits to change and I don't know if I have the energy to do that. The whole low carb/diabetic diet just gets my down sometimes and I see the French way of eating as a way to put the pleasure back into meal planning and eating.

 I've been struggling with my food budget and making it work. One of the things the French do is buy for only a day or two and I've been trying to shop only twice a month. I'm finding that it's not really working that well for me. It really helped me to stay on budget when I stuck to it, but I would find myself at the end of 2 weeks eating what I could scrounge together and it wasn't all that appetising. That is a problem for me because I will tend to snack instead of eat a meal. So now I'm going to see if I can shop more often at least for things like fresh produce and still stay on my budget.

We can learn from other cultures, but put our own twist on it. I have another book about eating like the Italians and may take a look at that one again. I think it would benefit me if I could learn to widen the types of food I eat and try some new flavors and ethnic cuisines. My gd's love sushi but I have felt I didn't like the flavors of this cuisine, maybe I need to experiment a little more. I have to keep everything low carb, but I can still learn from others. I'm learning to use my low carb techniques on all recipes. It just a matter of substitution when it's possible.

So Bon Appitite.
Linda

7 comments:

Lena said...

I have enjoyed this post very much, thank you.

That little squirrel is charming! I too prefer real natural things to decorate with for the most part, but I'm fond of other little touches too, like your squirrel.

My family and I often talk about when we were all younger and how we grew up eating 3 meals a day, and desserts too. We don't remember many overweight people growing up. I think some of the reasons why involved less processed foods, and moving more. Eating fresh foods, I think that makes such a difference. We ate a balance of foods, and didn't really pay attention to carbs and such. It's interesting to see how the world has changed, and not for the better, that way. I think, maybe, we are seeing the pendulum swing back the other way now, so perhaps, with time, the more that people can afford to buy of natural, fresh foods, the better. Eventually, that will bring the price down for everyone. I sure do wish you luck, as I have been struggling with my weight in the last few years too.

Isn't Ravelry wonderful? I'm a beginner with my crocheting, but I so enjoy my visits there.

Best wishes to you.

A Woman that Fears the Lord said...

God has given me a burst of grace the past month to make some changes in my diet. Eph. 4:22-24 gives a principle for 'putting off' an ungodly habit, renewing the mind, and 'putting on' a godly habit. So I'm depending on His grace to help me put off ungodly eating habits and putting on habits that would encourage health. one major change is to increase vegetables starting with breakfast. I'm shooting for 10 veggies a day but I don't always make it. I add spinach, red onion,etc to eggs or I'll juice. I try to keep carbs out of most of my meals but I do allow myself a small little treat at night. Hopefully someday I can let go of this daily and make it occasional. I'm trying to focus on eating for health and not just to loose weight. I've also started walking at least 3 times a week but shoot for 5 days. I feel much more strength. "Love to Eat, Hate to Eat" is the best book I've ever read on eating for God's glory. 1 Cor. 10:31

Nancy said...

Crochet is a fun thing to do. One day I will slow down and actually learn to read the directions. Right now my energy is focused on my photography and fabric sculptures.

At last I am having some success with my diet. Always difficult as Mr. B constantly puts temptation in my path. But having a little success gives me the desire to keep trying. I limit my carbs and portions. My snacks are apples or 1/4 cup of peanuts. Nancy

Heidi said...

Hi Linda! I am sure that if you stick to it and use your imagination, you will succeed. I have these books too. We do our shopping once a week unless I run out of bread or milk. I only buy what is on my list and that helps. I have our meals down to only what we eat and the amount we like to have so no leftovers. It is important to use fresh ingredients and the best of taste without the huge amounts. Meals that are simple and fresh are very healthy too. If it helps, try using a smaller plate until it becomes second nature to cut back on the amount. And if you have great flavor, you will feel satisfied.

Your fall decorations are all looking lovely. I love the candle in the tea cup but also the accents of the little pumpkins. We found they were very costly this year here in Holland. Now the prices are coming down so I bought 4 (one of which is a larger Turkish turban) for only 2 euros so I was thrilled.

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

Lady Linda said...

Good evening Linda...I also enjoyed your post. Congrats on being so faithful to your good eating habits! I know how difficult it is.
Had a nice talk with Clarice today.I'm so sorry I won't be able to meet up with her girls and her, as I have a quilt retreat to run that weekend. Sigh....such a busy time of year. I always despair that fall slips away so quickly.
Do take care, Linda C

Barb said...

Hi Linda!

Your decorations are so pretty - I love pumpkins... :0)

I'm very envious of your projects! I'm one of those who panic when I see that Christmas is so close. It always seems like there is so much time . . . and then there's not!

I have been trying really hard to cook for two, and it's hard. I would love to be able to stick to a budget, but things just seem to come up, and it's usually the prices! Sticking to a budget will be a must, as my husband is going to retire in the next year or so.

Dieting . . . yuck! Last year, I lost 50 pounds, I've gained some back, about 20 pounds, and it seems harder than ever to lose it now. I would love to find a better way of eating that really worked. Please let us know if you liked the books. I would love to get more pleasure from eating, instead of guilt!

So sorry you aren't feeling well, I will keep you in my prayers. Have a wonderful Sunday!

Hugs,
Barb

Heidi said...

You would truly love Bess's Log Cabin Quilt. It has the spirit of the Little House books.

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi