Saturday, November 19, 2011

Mobac's Pointsettas



Last weekend I went to see my dd on the other side of the water. My gd came too and we went to Mobac's. It's known for it's varieties of Pointsettas and has tons of Christmas ornaments. We had fun but were both exhausted by the time we got home. I decided I wanted to do something fun to celebrate the season and this was it. We went to the mall, of course and I kept getting sticker shock.


I'm still dealing with tummy issues. Just when I think it's over, it isn't. I've been sewing and watching a lot of dvd's from the library. I'm watching an old one I've never seen before with Audrey Hepburn, Henry Fonda and Mel Ferrer, War and Peace. It's Tolstoy's epic about Russia and Napoleon's invasion of Moscow. It's beautifully filmed, lots of snow. Audrey looks so young and beautiful.


My part in the Thanksgiving dinner is going to be grilled asparagus (if I can get it), fennel, portabello mushrooms with one of my green sauces, roasted winter squash with a balsamic glaze and green salad with oranges and pomegranate with an orange vinaigrette. I always do green beans and wanted to do something different this year and I like to have a salad to cut all the heavy foods. I've been seeing some great ideas on The Chew. Michael Simon did a turkey soup with dumplings that looked wonderful. I'm not cooking the bird but I might get a breast or leg to roast and make soup from.




Have a great weekend and remember to relax and savor the season.

Linda

3 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Linda!

I love Poinsettias! We have a nice nursery here that have so many varieties - they are all so different and some don't even look like Poinsettias!

Sounds like your Thanksgiving feast will be a good one - I love the idea of green sauce with portabello mushrooms, yum!

I love anything Audrey Hepburn does, wasn't she fabulous?! I will have to checkout this movie - we had to read the book in school, but I don't think I enjoyed it too much... ;0)

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Hugs,
Barb

Heidi said...

Linda, I am so sorry to hear you are unwell. Have you thought about asking your doctor to perform allergy tests? It could be so many things that you are having an intolerance for including sometimes the most surprising things.

The poinsettias are absolutely gorgeous! I stopped buying them since they never last long for me but miss that as I used to buy them each year. It was at a time when they were, like all flowers here in Holland, very inexpensive. Those days are gone.

You mentioned wind in the winter on my blog. We too can get very windy and wet winters. I will see how things go with my winter table based on the weather. Our normal autumn storms with high gale force winds have never come. In fact, it has been far too dry and warm for the season. In the meantime, I will enjoy the winter table for each day that I can. I can do spot repairs if things blow off or even lay a sheet over it to keep damage to a minimum in a storm.

Feel well very soon!

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

Jorgelina said...

I love Poinsettias!
Hugs