Saturday, February 11, 2012

Gluten-free Diet and More Butler Stories


This is a beautiful hand painted candle my gd made for me for Christmas. I put it in a bed of lavender buds on one of my favorite platters from Portugal. This is on my coffee table.

We had a lovely luncheon get together today to celebrate my birthday. Thankyou wonderful family.

I'm now doing gluten-free to try and help my tummy issues, plus we've changed some of my medications. I tried doing gluten-free once before but I didn't really get all the gluten out of my diet. I'm already on a low carb diet, but sometimes I cheat, so no more cheating. I'm learning about all the things that have gluten in them besides baked items, like soy sauce, canned soups. So I'm reading labels and have a list of ingredients to look for. Simple Gluten-free has some good information under new the gf, at the top of the page. Gluten-free Goddess has a page on how the go gluten-free. Because of my low carb diet I'm not trying to do gluten-free breads. I make that sort of thing out of almond flour which has no grain or carbs in it. I've already lost some weight also. The challenge is that I really have to make everything from scratch, even more than I was doing. So far I'm feeling better, but will see how it goes this week. Unfortunately I've been called for jury duty. I asked to be excused but apparently wasn't.

I'm continuing to read and watch butler movies and books. The last one I watched was "Remains of the Day" which was about a butler and a housemaid that were in love but felt they couldn't acknowledge it, at least he felt that way. My dd got the Downton Abby dvd's, so I've seen the whole thing now, but I won't spill the beans. I'm reading another Daisy Dalrymple mystery, but when I finish that I'm going to read "Carry on, Jeeves" by P.G. Wodehouse. It's about a manservant and his boss, not quite the same as servants in a manor house.

Have a great weekend.
Linda

4 comments:

Nancy said...

You will love the Jeeves series. We own a set and watch them frequently. I have the first Downton Abby series from the library.

At least you are feeling better but going gluten free is a lot of work. My daughter-in-law has to eat that way and my son to some extent. I never know what to cook for them. You are right, there is gluten in things you would never expect.

Thanks for you comments on my picture on Porch Days. I'm having fun learning.

Unknown said...

What I have is a book, but I think I have seen the Jeeves series a long time ago. I'll have to check it out. One of my dd's is doing gluten-free also and the other one is partually doing it, so we are all learning together.

Heidi said...

My dear friend...I am a day late but wish you a very happy birthday. I wish you a special 2012 where each day brings a little joy to your life! In each day, there is a little joy!

I have never read any of the Jeeves books but LOVE the British series. Have you ever seen it? It is on at times on one of the English satellite channels I get.

You have been doing well at finishing off old projects by the looks of things. It feels so good. I cannot seem to even make myself start something new yet as I have another crochet project I want done first. Not a bad thing to find you are addicted to getting all those UFOs finished...lol.

Have you been diagnosed with the gluten allergy? I must have missed that in your blog posts. I know it is easier now to find many gluten free products. How did the biopsy turn out? Or are you still awaiting news?

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I loved the first year of Downton Abbey but I can't seem to get into this season. Loved Remains of the Day and actually just watched it last month.