Saturday, March 24, 2012

Flax Seed



I've been using a lot of flax seed in my baking lately and about.com has some cautions here, this is the link to all their pages on flax seed. I know that it is important to store these things correctly. In cleaning out my frig. I decided I should throw out my flax oil as it has been sitting there a long time. I keep my flax meal in the frig, but I'm going to move it to the freezer. I'm also going to buy flax seed which is cheaper and start grinding my own. You can keep the seeds a year in the frig. so I plan to put a date on the container and keep better track of these things.

I decided to do some research on the net and see what else I could find out about flax seed
World's Healthiest Foods has some great information on the health benefits of flax seed. On the other side here is a post by Mark's Daily Apple on the latest research and his recommendations.

I've realized that I shouldn't go overboard on the flax. Most recipes just add a small amount of flax and from what I've read that is probably appropriate. It's a good source of fiber and it's got lots of omega 3's but fish oil is probably a better source for the omega 3's. I'm upping my fiber from vegs.

Next week I'm going to focus on adding some healthy oils to my diet.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

You are really doing lots of research and follow through. I'm glad my family does not need gluten free food. It is difficult enough to reduce our sugar and salt usage.

Unknown said...

Porch Days, Having the intestinal problem has forced me to take drastic steps, but I think everything I am doing can only make me healthier. I've been doing this for a while and my first step was simply to eliminate white processed foods and eat whole foods.