Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Green Vegetable Soup

Last night I made Green Vegetable Soup. I decided to add eggs back into my diet, so I garnished with a hard boiled egg. It had a nice flavor but was very light. The eggs gave it a bit more to fill me up.

Green Vegetable Soup

2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
2 Leeks, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
3 cloves Garlic, minced
1 head Broccoli, trimmed to small florets (I assumed they meant 1 piece of Broccoli)
2 medium Zucchini, cut into half moons
1 head Spinach, roughly chopped (I used baby spinach so I just did a couple of cups and I didn't bother to chop it.)
4 leaves Basil
1 tsp. Sea Salt (I just threw some in and added some after cook, to taste)
1/2 tsp. fresh ground Pepper (same as salt, to taste)
6 cups water
3 Tbsp. fresh Basil, chopped

In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the leeks and garlic and saute for 3 minutes. Add the broccoli, zucchini, spinach, basil, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 5 minutes. Add the water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the chopped basil.

Makes 4-6 servings

Per serving
Calories 128
Protein 5g
Fiber 4g

This recipe from Reboot Your Life.

By the way as for as a weight loss diet it's not doing much for me, but other people have had good luck with it. I'm doing it mainly now for health reasons.

 I'm going to go down to 1 juice a day and I plan to get a Vitamix so I will switch to that which will keep in the fiber although you can strain it out. I think the fiber will be better for me, but I can't do all the veggies with my Bullet. It works pretty well with the kale and other greens, but I want to be able to do harder veggies like celery, carrot or fennel. My Costco is getting the Vitamix in the end of July so I'm getting one this time.

Linda









1 comment:

Barb said...

Hi Linda!

The soup looks wonderful - I would never have thought to put an egg on top, what a good idea!

I really need to lose some weight! I have seriously thought about doing a high protein diet with lots of veggies. I am one who really needs fiber, so juicing could only be a couple times a week, with green drinks the other days. I have loved your recipes and I'm so glad you are posting them. I can't wait to give them a try!

Good luck - I know that if you keep with this routine you will lose weight - it's sooo healthy!

Hugs,
Barb