Friday, June 5, 2009

The Classics

The classics- I added a list to my side bar of blogs about the classics. There are several Jane Austin ones. I've been having fun reading them. This one posted a link to The Sampler Girl I'm so excited about this. Another passion of mine is cross stitch and I love samplers. She has created the most fun samplers. I'm sorely tempted, but I'm not buying, I'm not. She gave me some ideas though.

I love children's literature as well as adult. I have been collecting books for most of my adult life. Now that I can't afford to buy books I'm enjoying reading the ones I haven't read yet or rereading my favorites. This blog is about what I've learned and am learning and I've learned much from books. Every time I was interested in a subject I would buy a book about it. Now I usually turn to the web. I tended to read a lot more non fiction, until later in life I discovered the joys of fiction. I have to admit I've had trouble reading the classics and that is why I like the classic movies so much. I can get the gist of the story that way and then go back and read the book. I didn't really get Jane Austin at first but after being immersed in her works I'm seeing the depth they have that I didn't see at first.

I'm very interested in cultures and how people lived in different times and places and that is one of the things I like so well about Jane Austin. It helps me to appreciate life in my own times, but it also makes me long for some of the things of that time. I love anything that is about England especially old England. Jane Eyre is one of my favorites by Charlotte Bronte I didn't care for Whithering Heights as well by Emily Bronte.

I loved the movies of North and South and Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell but couldn't get into this authors books. I would like to try again now that I've seen the films.
I'm not quite ready to try Dickens although I have 5 of his books. Well I may have to challenge myself when I get in the mood. I should watch some of the movies.
Linda

1 comment:

Becky said...

I love to stitch! I have made some things as gifts in the past. I think I posted pictures in the other blog. I have never made samplers,but will go look at the link you posted. I have found some creative stitchers on blogspot. I read fiction,but contemporary writers.I have a few Jane Austen books that I picked up at Halfprice books. I think the language is so proper and eloquent,so unlike today!