Friday, June 5, 2009

The Great Depression reading



Someone asked for the titles of the books I've been reading on The Great Depression so here is my list







  1. 1. The Age of the Great Depression by Dixon Wecter NF


  2. Brother, Can You Spare a Dime by Milton Meltzer NF



  3. No Time For Tears by June Masters Bacher F



  4. Katie by Margaret Graham F


  5. A Nickel's Worth of Skim Milk by Robert J. Hastings B


  6. We Has Everything But Money by Reminisce Books NF



  7. The Cape Ann by Faith Sullivan


I'm just reading the books I already have and a lot of them are pretty old so I don't know if they are still available.



I did a search in the library catalogue and found lots of interesting books on the subject dvd's also. I've read and am reading




  1. Welcome to Kit's World an American Girl Collection book. This is a children's book but it was really good. It is a good way to get an overview of the period and I learned things that I hadn't from the other books I've read so far.




  2. Kitchen Privileges by Mary Higgins Clark, this is a memoir of her childhood during the Depression. Her dad died and they had to rent room in their house to get by. Actually a lot of people did this.




  3. Living Through the Great Depression by Tracy Brown Collins. This is a living history book. It has a chapter on how to feed your family which is quite interesting.




  4. Shiloh Autumn by Bodie and Brock Thoene. This is a Christian novel. I haven't started this one yet but it's about a cotton farm family in Arkansas. It sounds much like many of the ones I've already read.




  5. Riding the Rails DVD. This was really interesting.




So I'm busy reading and I'm still learning about how people lived. Just before the Depression in the 20's they had a very prosperous era and somewhat decadent. I never realized that the Flappers were considered loose by some. I don't know if that is all of them or just some. They are usually portrayed as fun and free spirited but one book suggested they were immoral. Because that is prior to the Depression I haven't read that much about them. I have pictures of my mom is the flapper style of dress so I think many people adopted the style but not the lifestyle. Life was pretty good for many people before the crash. They were not prepared for what was to come.


















1 comment:

Sharon Goemaere said...

I just did a search at our local library online and they had access to all but the book "Living Through the Great Depression."Yippee! LOL I am currently reading some books on writing but may check some of these you have recommended out next time!Blessings from Oregon~Sharon