Sunday, June 7, 2009

Emergency preparedness and stocking up

I've been working on decluttering and organizing shelves in the garage and in the house to make more room for supplies. I also got out all the information that I have collected from different sources and am reading through it.

It can be kind of overwhelming to think about disasters, but one of the first things you need to do is determine what kinds of disasters you are likely to have in your area and if you will most likely be evacuated or stay in place. Then you need to make a family plan and make sure everyone in your household know what it is.

Really you need to prepare for all possibilities. Last year I bought a sleeping bag and packed a backpack as a grab and go kit and I bought a case of water. I need to go through my kit and see if I need to replace anything in it or add anything.

One of the printouts from from FlyLady's site. It was for evacuation. It is an old one and she may have new ones but hers was really the simplest. http://www.flylady.net/pages/FLYingLessons_Prepared.asp

I hope to get copies of important papers in a folder for easy grab and go access. I already have a photo album near the front door.

Stocking up on food and water is something I was already doing, but I'm realizing that I need to check propane, batteries, and so on. If I lost power I would not be able to cook my food without propane for the little burner I have. I'm also thinking a small barbecue would be a good thing to have if I'm staying in place. Another thing I've been doing is filling 2 and 3 gallon water bottles for use other than drinking.

I realize there is no way I can prepare for every eventuality. So I'm just doing the best I can with the room I have and the money I have. There is much more I could share but that's enough for now. I'll share as I do things just to spur you all on.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Three times our electricity was out for over 5 days. Can't stress how important it is to keep a 5 gallon container of gas. (We have a generator). If the electricity goes out, the gas stations can't pump gas, so you can't get out if your gas tank is low. I always keep my car fueled to at least half the tank too.

Unknown said...

Thrifty Countrywoman yes I came to the conclusion I should not let my gas tank go below half.

Unknown said...

Clarice I agree baby steps. Stocking up is something you can't do all at once.

Kay said...

Linda, you might read "Alas, Babylon".
http://tinyurl.com/ks6pah

It's a fiction story about the cold war & a nuclear attack on the US and how a "community" in FL survives being isolated for many months.

I never thought that in the event of a disaster, salt & canning jars would be some of the first to sell out in the stores.

Unknown said...

Kay, Thanks for the suggestion. I've seen a list of the first things to go. I think it will be useful. Linda