Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Don't Buy It



I've been trying since the beginning of the year to not buy anything that isn't really needed. It gets harder to stick to it as time goes on and so I was looking for some inspiration. I found it in a blog Don't Buy It and a book Not Buying It by Judith Levine.




The web site has some good ideas and challenges you not to buy something new, but find another option or do without. The book is about a couple that decide to not buy anything unnecessary for a year. It's seems to be more of a look at why we shop than ways how not to, but it is still motivating me to look closer at what I am buying. They have cut much deeper than I have. We all have a different idea of what is necessary. They have cut their grocery shopping to the very basic things, no frills. I have tried to cut out the more expensive things, but am realizing I could really get down to the basics. The difference is they are only doing it for a year and I may be doing this forever. So I'm not sure I can give up everything. They are learning a lot about themselves through this process and that is what is interesting to me. I'm not sure why they decided to do this except that she is a writer and I think it seemed like a good idea.




I bought some things for my emergency kit at the dollar store today. It is new and I was excited to be able to get a few things for a dollar each. I'm using my stimulus check to get a few things and also for stocking up.




The Depression books really made me see how much abundance we have even when we are supposedly cutting back. It's baby steps for me in learning to be a smart shopper.
Linda




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're enjoying the blog! Thanks for stopping by -- feel free to let me know if there's something you wish I'd write about. :)