Tuesday, June 2, 2009




I been reading books about The Great Depression. I wanted to see how they got by. First I have to say they had it much worse then we do. Most of the fiction seems to be about small towns and farms. I've noticed the people that were in need helped each other and shared what they had. The people that weren't in need seem to be oblivious to what was going on and didn't really help.




People were very proud in those days and taking help from the government was very difficult for them and they only did out of desperation.


Everyone had a garden, sometimes on vacant property near by, but because of the drought in many areas they weren't very productive, so when someone got a good crop they shared. They did without many of the things we would consider basic needs, water, power, telephone. Some people on farms had enough fruit trees and wild foods in their area to keep them from starving along with the family cow and chickens at least for a while.


Another thing I learned is that this went on for years. It wasn't over in a year or two. I never thought we would see what's happening in our world today but we are in better shape, at least most of us then they were and we have more help from the government. I'm not sure if people out there are helping people, but I think they probably are.


I love to read history and love the WWII era. Maybe it's because I was a child then, although I don't remember anything about it. It not the war but what was happening back home and in Britian that fascinates me. So I want to read about the end of the depression and the beginning of WWII if I can find a book that deals with that.


I appreciate the values of the past but realize they had their problems too. I think having this downturn in our economy is going to remind us of some of those values and how good life can be when we live simply.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like to read about those eras too! Have you read the Land Girls or The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society?

Unknown said...

No I haven't read those but thanks for the suggestion.

alittlespottowriteforgetmenot said...

Hi there ~ wanted to thank you so much for stopping by my little blog and your kind comment! And also for sharing this information, it is really interesting. I love to read and will be in a book club soon, I'm going to suggest this topic/era. You have a lovely way of writing and I appreciate all the great hints and the links! I'm sure I'll be visiting again! Love your banner too, what a pretty gathering!
Have a beautiful day and take care!
Madai :)

Sharon Goemaere said...

Hello Linda:
I am curious as to the titles of the books you are currently reading about the Great Depression?I just picked up some books at our local library today about writing and such and am always looking for a good read.Blessings~Sharon

Becky said...

I didnt know if you knew Beth Moore has a blog. Its Living Proof--LPM ? If you stop by my place, it should show who I follow. She shares the blog with her daughters-they all right something.Just an FYI!

Sharon said...

Linda,

I agree that our country does need a downturn to truly appreciate all that we have been blessed with. I am planting a garden this year in hopes of preserving the harvest and bringing bushels to church to share. That has been my desire, to bless those around us.

I love this quote:
‘Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without' :)

Have a blessed day!

~Sharon

Paula said...

Dear Miss Linda,

Your new blog is so lovely and cheerful! Thank you for stopping by and visiting me. I appreciate your sweet comment. I am so glad you and the girls were having a fun time! I know they enjoy being with you.

This post was wonderful, as were your previous ones. I am enjoying your blog so much. Thank you for all you share. You are so encouraging and such a blessing!

Love your friend,
Paula

Angie said...

Linda! How thrilled I am you've started a blog! It's beautiful and I love the topics you're covering. I'll be back!

Blessings on your new endeavor-
Love, Angie

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Hi, I came over from Clarice's blog. I like reading books from that era too. I'm always impressed with how people helped one another back then - I'm not so sure people would do so these days. It's also impressive that they knew how to use up every last bit of everything!

Welcome to blogging!

Manuela

oma aka meme said...

mom and dad were there for the depression and yes, gardens were a big thing- they planted two gardens but in different areas - so that if hail took one- they still had the other one as hail seemed to go here and there- I know how to do a lot of things as even after the war our area was often rained out so I learned how to make do with a little- folks did share food and they also had a good time at socials with entertainment from scratch--
I will tell some of my growing up tales soon.
A lot of my writing here is the same as the other blog but every once in a while I blog here but not there- I like it here.
hugs from Meme

Unknown said...

meme, I'd love to hear your stories. My parents went through it too, but I never heard them talk about it. I was born in 39 so it was pretty much over then.