Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Lavender, Lady's Mantle and Roses





I grow a few things in my tiny garden that can be harvested and dried for use in my home all year. Right now the old fashioned roses are in bloom and I like to let the petals dry in a bowl. They keep their fragrance very well.



The lady's mantle flower makes a pretty lime green filler for bouquets, it also dries nicely. It is actually an herb. Mine has gotten really large and it's easy to divide.



The one I prize the most is the lavender. I have dried lavender from several years ago that I still use even though the fragrance is gone. I just love the look of it. I have a bunch right now on my coffee table tied with a silk ribbon and draped over a china bowl. The house smells wonderful when you first pick the lavender. So I have little bouquets here and there.



I like decorating with natural things and putting them with antique linens and china. I like to bring the outside in. My decorating style is casual. I use a lot of wicker and baskets.



We live not too far from an area of lavender farms, they will have the lavender festival in a few weeks. It's a beautiful sight. You can get lavender ice tea and ice cream. Yum.


Linda


image-allposters.com




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lavender farm must be a wonderful thing to behold! We lost about half of our lavender this Year because the winter was so cold. Makes me treasure the plants I do have more!

Jane

Becky said...

I have lavender growing everywhere! Shoots just took off somehow,but I love it! I read in a nursing journal that lavendar can help with post op nausea. I am thinking about making some sachet's and put some lavender in them for patients. Have you ever heard of this type of rememdy? I assume with the lavender I can cut it, pull the leaves off,and put it in a sachet or should I dry them first? Thanks for your help!
Have a good weekend!

Unknown said...

Becky, Lavender is calming. I would dry it on the stem and then take the buds off. I've never actually done it, but I think it would damage the bud if you tried to take it off before it dried. That sounds like a wonderful idea. Linda

Sharon Goemaere said...

Oh how lovely!I love lavender!I once tried some lavender soda pop.It was different but quite refreshing.:-)~Sharon