Saturday, June 13, 2009

Salad Days

We are in the season of wonderful greens. I wanted to encourage myself to eat more salads. I don't buy premade salad dressings. I always make my own, but most of the time I just throw some oil and vinegar on and I thought it would be nice to make a couple of different dressing to have on hand. So I'm making a Balsamic Vinaigrette and a Green Goddess. The creamy dressings don't last as long so I will make a smaller quantity, but the vinaigrette should last a while.

Here is a Food Network recipe for the balsamic. There are a lot of them that I didn't like. I would make a few changes, double the recipe and leave out the sugar. Also I wouldn't use straight balsamic I would use half red wine vinegar. I don't like my dressings too sweet, but if you do follow the recipe as is. I also buy a mild red wine vinegar, some of them are really strong. You can more than double it if you have a large family. I keep mine in a glass canning jar.in the frig. You have to pull it out a while before you use it as the oil starts to harden. Also shake well before using. I would use this on a spinach salad with crumbled bacon and red onion.
Here is a Green Goddess Dressing also from Food Network. I haven't made GG for ages and it sounded good.The only change I would make in this one is to use anchovy paste instead of anchovies because I like the texture better, but if you are an anchovy lover use them. I would use this on a mixture on interesting greens, with different textures and maybe some thinly sliced fresh button mushrooms. Again double the quantity if you want some to keep on hand but I don't think it will last a long. I was think this recipe has 4 fresh herbs in it which is kind of expensive unless you have them in your garden, but you could substitute cheaper things. I would probably use scallions instead of chives because I usually have those on hand. You could also use dried tarragon or a tarragon vinegar, which is a nice thing to have if you are going to make your own dressings, instead of fresh tarragon. The recipes I have used didn't usually have basil, so I'm leaving it out, because I think it might overwhelm the tarragon.

Growing your own herbs and making flavored vinegars are both good frugal ideas for making your own dressings. I make sure I have extra virgin olive oil and several kinds of vinegar in my pantry. I buy my evoo and balsamic at Costco.

I would like to make a lemon instead of vinegar dressing next and maybe find something new and interesting. Instead of buying bottled dressing try making your own. It's healthier and cheaper and tastes a lot better. Also if you make enough to have it on hand you won't have to make it at the last minute and you'll have all the convenience of a bottled dressing and you can have different kinds for different tastes.


Linda

image: allposters











5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good idea to make the Green Goddess with anchovy paste! That's my favorite, but you can't find it in the grocers anymore. Will check out the recipe.

Jane

Becky said...

What a complement from your daughter! My sis in law brought in a salad,all the greens straight from their garden! What a treat! I always buy dssg from the store. i should try my own. I have herbs growing in my yard, i never use them-hardly ever. I have basil,rosemary,and sage.I do use the rosemary when I broil salmon. Maybe I should put some together for a dressing. Your an inspiration!

Unknown said...

Becky, If you're not use to using fresh herbs, just remember they can be strong. Basil would be wonderful in a salad or dressing. Rosemary I would chop it up very small and only use a little bit. I tried making rosemary evoo and it is still sitting in my pantry I haven't tried using it on anything yet. Mixing them is a good idea let me know how it turns out. Linda

Jill McDowell said...

Linda,

I lot salads too. We have a wonderful Farmers Market that this time of year is flousishing with fresh greens of all sorts. I like to experiment with different kinds.
I recently discovered the garlic lady had scapes and have been adding them to all my cooking, love em!
Your blog color is beatiful!
Have a great weekend. Very hot here, going to stay indoors except to go to the market and water flowers.

Unknown said...

I will have to look for those. Thanks. Linda