Sunday, August 30, 2009

Tasha Tudor Lifestyle Pt 1 Afternoon Tea


I spent Saturday, the day after TT day rereading the books written about her life. I read Tasha Tudor World and Forever Christmas and I'm reading TT's Garden. I was looking for inspiration. How can I bring some of her world into mine?


I quickly realized many of the things that many of us are trying to do to save money are very much in keeping with her lifestyle. Simple and frugal living. Making as much of your stuff as you can. Raising food, if you can. It was all done with an 1800's aesthetic. She was lucky enough to have many treasures passed down in her family.


But it was her passion to have this lifestyle that really made it happen. Many of us have had the desire, but not the passion to make it happen. I'm never going to live like she did, those days are gone for me. Also I have tried some things and decided it wasn't for me. So what can I take from her life?


One small thing that I decided on today is that Sunday would be a good day to sit down and have tea from a real tea cup and a tray with all the accouterments. I drink tea a lot but I usually have it in the biggest cup I can find because I don't want to have to keep filling up a small cup. Another words I don't want to take the time to keep refilling my cup. That doesn't sound like I'm really savoring that cup of tea, so at least once a week I want to sit and savor and enjoy at Tasha's pace.


I hope to come up with other inspiration but for now it's Sunday afternoon tea.


Linda

9 comments:

Gayle said...

What a lovely idea, taking your time and having a "real tea".

Anonymous said...

That sounds lovely. By the way, I love your picture! The teacup coordinates with the book so lovely!

Jane

Anonymous said...

I'm ashamed to say I did not know who Tasha Tudor was/is. But I do now. I think I will check into her writings. Thank you.

A pleasure to meet you, Linda.

Unknown said...

Jane, That was a happy accident. I didn't notice that the cup matched the book until I saw the picture. Linda

Unknown said...

Sparrowssong, You are in for a treat. Linda

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

That is so true, I serve my husband's evening tea in a large mug because that's what I've always done!

As for me, I steep my tea in a little two cup teapot and then pour it into one of my favorite china teacups. I realized long ago it is the only time I get to use my pretty teacups since my daughter lives 1,000 miles away.

Somehow neither of the guys are into dainty dishes. :)

Marqueta (Mar-kee-ta) G. said...

Dear Linda,

I'm so glad to "meet" Clarice's mother! What a lovely tribute you've given of Tasha Tudor. You have a truly wonderful daughter; I've been very inspired by her.

Love,

Marqueta

Carolyne said...

Hello Linda~ Do you not make a pot of tea in that beautiful pansy teapot on your header? Why, that would make anyone slow down and enjoy the 'cuppa'. Of course, you'd need a snugly tea cosy to keep the pot warm for the whole afternoon, or as long as it took you to finish.
It can become a wonderful habit to make an entire pot of tea, to sit beside you on a little tray, just for yourself to enjoy while doing needlework.
Enjoy some for me. I'm having 'Mango Mist' today.
love, Carolyne

Unknown said...

Carolyne, I don't use that one very often because it is old and I'm afraid it will break. I love to look at it though and use it once in a while. Linda