Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Tasha Tudor Lifestyle Pt 4 Aprons



Tasha always wore an apron. I never do, but I thought it is such a part of her that I should give it a try so I made myself one. It was kind of fun. I haven't done much sewing in several years, but once in a while I do a little. So it turned out pretty well and I think I will make some more. I made this with fabric I already had.


The cover of the book shows Tasha using her apron to carry some cuttings. She used her apron to carry whatever she found in the garden. I remember stories about how women use to always wear aprons and used them for all kinds of things. I wonder why we stopped using them. I know I usually have jeans on and they don't need protecting like a nice dress. When I was younger I remember wearing an apron when I was dressed up and in the kitchen. I guess I don't dress up anymore. Maybe I need to do something about my wardrobe. I stopped wearing dresses quite a while ago. My dd and gd's have been having dress day and I may just have to make myself a skirt.


This project with Tasha is making me think about a lot of things that I don't do anymore and I'm wondering why. You always see the homemaker in those vintage photos wearing an apron, that should have been my mother, but it wasn't because she was a small business owner. My grandmother often wore an apron, she also wore what was called a housedress. She always dressed up when she was going out. Her dress up clothes all had to be dry cleaned while the housedress was cotton and could be washed. I guess we are more casual now and fabrics have come a long way. There is a book called "The Apron Book" by Ellyn Anne Geisel that talks about the apron and how it brings back so many memories for a lot of people.


I'm spending a lot more time in the kitchen now and so an apron makes more sense. It's the uniform of the cook. Professional cooks wear aprons and chefs jackets so they definitely have a purpose and usefulness. Tasha's lifestyle was very different from mine and she was doing a lot of things that could stain and ruin her clothes so the apron was a practical way of protecting her clothing. A lot of that clothing had been woven and made by her so I'm sure she valued it a lot more than I do my jeans.


Linda












7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's kind of sad how casual we've all become. People even wear jeans and shorts to church now days. I'm old enough to remember the joy of picking out hats and gloves to go with an outfit. Remember when women wore gloves to church? I remember my mother carefully selecting her apron to go with her outfit. I guess clothes are more comfortable now, but I don't think they are very attractive.

Jane

Suze said...

I am sitting here wearing an apron. I have very few clothes and they need to be clean. wearing an apron is something I just do. Mine aren't cute or pretty.

I agree that we are too casual now.

Suzanne said...

Beautiful apron!

Unknown said...

Suze, Why do you wear an apron? I'm curious why some people do and some don't. Linda

Becky said...

I love your posts,you put so much thought into what you are interested in,and you have many interests! I helped my daughters make aprons for their friends for christmas several years ago. We used a pattern,and they turned out fairly well for first time attempt! I know I was frustrated trying to teach the girls, I ended up doing most of them! : ( I have my grandmothers aprons,and gave 2 to my daughters-they apreciate vintage things. I've bought a couple of aprons on ebay,just to decorate a cabinent in my kitchen! I like your apron too!

Anonymous said...

I too remember baking cookies in my grandmothers kitchen and wearing an apron to protect my clothes. I dont usually wear an apron anymore when I cook unless I am wearing my GUESS jeans and I dont want them to get runied. Then I slip the apron back and I get a feeling of making the cookies again with my grandmother, it really takes me back in time.

Heather said...

What a wonderful idea! I love tashas dresses and aprons. For some reason I can never remember to use an apron until I've gotten dinner or paint all over me ;)
You have a sweet blog here, and thanks for the Ma Ingalls link :)