Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Currently Reading


Just finished Oolong Death. She is coming out with a new one "The Teaberry Strangler" and her Cackleberry Club series has a new title "Eggs Benedict Arnold". I have to wait for my library to get them.
Did you know Miss Read wrote a new book. She wrote it with someone. The concept was hers, but someone else actually did the writing, if I understood her right. So I just started this one. I'm having trouble remembering the characters. I'm going to have to go back and read the series again. But I so happy to have a new Miss. Read. I'm not buying books, but I had to get this one.
I discovered Miss. Read as a young mother reading her way through the fiction shelves in my local library. I didn't realize at the time what a treasure I had found, although I did love them. I use to want to live in the world in these books, but reading about them was a way of doing that.
Recently I read one of her books that I've had but never read because it wasn't part of the Fairacre series or the Thrush Green one. It's "Fresh From the Country" I loved it.
Miss. Read lovers, do you read the books in order of how they were written or do you read all the Fairacre ones together and all the Thrush Green ones together? I started out reading them as written and found that I followed the story better when I read the Fairacre ones together and the Thrush Green ones together. Then there are some that don't fit into either of these series.
I have all of her books so I've read them several times. I haven't read them now for some time I guess it's time to start again after I finish this one. I'm not sure if I'm past my obsession with British village life or not.
Linda

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linda

That fits in perfectly with what Emily Dickinson said about "there is no frigate like a book". Not only can you visit foreign lands, you can visit other times.And all while sitting in your own comfy chair! I like to read all of one series, before reading another. I get the characters confused otherwise. Haven't read the Miss Read books in years. I'll have to check and see if I still have some around.

Jane

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I love the Miss Read books. I read them out of order so I need to go back and read them again. My favorite is one I own called No Holly For Miss Quinn, one of her Christmas books.

I had never heard of Miss Read until Jan Karon (the Mitford books) said she was her inspiration.

LOVE Laura Childs Tea mysteries.

Unknown said...

The thing with the Miss Read books is that she write about two different villages, but they are really two different story lines, they don't merge. They have different characters. However she didn't bill them as two series so If you just read them in the order she wrote them you don't have a contious story. You are jumping back and forth between these two story lines. I didn't notice it at first because I wasn't really reading them in order anyway, but one day I decided to read them in order and that is when I realized that there were really two series going plus a number of books that don't fit into either of the two. I just found when I read the Fairacre books together and the Thrush Green books together I could follow the stories and I enjoyed them more. That said I enjoy for many years just reading them out of order. Each book is delightful on it's own. Linda

Gayle said...

I am a Miss Read fan also! I read the village series, it is too confusing to jump around. I like to read them before I fall asleep at night. I will look for this book, it looks delightful!