Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Filing and Paperwork



I got all my filing done and reorganized my office closet. I do this every year at in Jan. so that I can start off the year with organized files.




This year I really wanted to simplify my files. I'm from a generation that is use to things on paper and I tend to want a hard copy of everything, so I've had to gradually wean myself from keeping all that paper. I've looked up lists of what to keep and how long. Each list is a little different so I had to really decide for myself what to let go of and what I really didn't need to keep.




I have a 2 draw file cabinet that I keep most of my files in. I also have some large plastic file boxes for my old records that I feel I need to keep. The file boxes are in my office closet. The top draw of my file cabinet is for current year paperwork. I can easily find what I need that way without having to look through a large file of paper. Every year at this time I clear it out so that it is ready for the new year. I throw away some of it and the rest goes into the bottom draw where I keep things for 3 years or so. I go through this draw when it gets too full, usually not every year. So after that 3 years I can toss a lot of it. What is left goes into the long term storage or old (permanent) file boxes. This is mostly financial and some medical records.




I have a separate filing crate for my tax files. After my tax return has been filed I keep the copy and the receipts in here. After 7 years the receipts get thrown out unless they need to be kept and the return itself goes to the back of the file. I use to throw these out until I read you should keep them forever oops.




I remember the days of having large file cabinets and trying to keep info. on subjects I was interested in. That was before the Internet. It was very cumbersome and I gave up after a while. Now I use the binder system for mostly print outs, but I rarely ever read this stuff so I'm thinking if I'm wanting to simplify maybe I should get rid of these. It would free up a lot of space. The rule if you haven't used it for a year seems like a good one. There are always exceptions to the rule, but it sounds like a good measure of what is really useful.




Linda


2 comments:

Heidi said...

Hi Linda! I thought after looking at your blog for a while that I would say hello. It is so easy to get buried in paper. I am working on fixing up my DHs office space into something that is more organized and a pleasant place to sit. He does all the paperwork though.

Love your granny square. I keep thinking I want to try my hand at making a granny square afghan. But I keep trying to talk myself out of it since I already stitch and quilt. :-)

Greetings from Holland ~
Heidi

Nancy said...

Isn't it hard to tame the file drawer? I work at it constantly, but I'm a "keeper" just like my mother and her sisters. I watched that "Horder" program recently and they think it might be genetic. In my family, each generation does a little better at cleaning out. There is hope.
It's just that I see crafting possibilities in so many things!