Friday, January 29, 2010

Grannying











I'm enjoying making my granny's except that I'm a little frustrated with my yarn. I bought some lovely bright colors, but not enough so I went out to look for more and could not find the same yarn. I bought something that was suppose to be similar and I'm not really happy with the weight or the colors. I thought I would get use to them, but I'm not so now I think I'm going to have to redo all the ones that have the second batch of yarn in them. I'm also going to have to find more yarn. I may have to compromise on the colors I want. Maybe I'm being too picky, but I don't want to end up with something I don't like.

I'm trying to do one granny a day. I'm doing four rows with the idea that I will add one more but I'm not sure yet if I want to do that last row all one color. I see this as a long term project like my shawl. I may finish the shawl by next winter.

I tried blocking my practice squares by pining them on to a towel covered piece of foam and spraying them with water. It really does make them lay much better. I put a scalloped edging on it. That was a little tricky but I thought it turned out pretty well. It was the half triple crochet that was tricky.

I think once I get the yarn figured out I will be able to just enjoy grannying, it's fun.
Linda

5 comments:

Barb said...

Hi,
I have really been enjoying your blog! I love Story book Woods, so I popped over to yours and it's also charming! Keep up the good work, I think they are so pretty, I love the eggplant colored yarn.
Blessings, Barb

Heidi said...

I think your granny squares are looking fabulous! Is the last photo a little afghan that you already made and that was what you blocked? Oh my...it is so tempting. I really do not need another hobby as my quilting and stitching keep me busy but I just love this. How long does it take to make one granny square?

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

Anonymous said...

Such pretty colors! Can't wait to see the finished product! Have you tried Ebay for the yarn? Sometimes they have discontinued colors on there.

Jane

Becky said...

There is a blog that is making things to sell on Etsy,and the proceeds go to Haiti. I think they are knitting scarfs. I'll have to go check my blog list to see the name, but they also do other charity work knitting,and doing some quilt blocks.I've only been to the site a few times, but they havent done a project that I can do! I'll be back with the name!

Becky said...

I don't know if this is something your daughter and gd would be interested in doing too.
http://crafthope.com/