Monday, May 17, 2010

Flavored Homemade Mayonaise


I got a new stick blender for Mother's Day. Amazon had them on sale. I wanted to get one to make homemade mayonnaise. I was amazed at how well it worked. I had mayonnaise in 2 seconds.
I decided I wanted to try making some flavored mayonnaise and so I look for recipes on line and here is one link that has quite a few. Basically you are adding herbs or citrus or something like red pepper to your homemade mayo. Some of them add 1 garlic clove also. I saw a recipe for curry mayo and mixed herbs that sounded interesting. I can hardly wait to experiment. Some of them added parsley also. I will share on my kitchen blog what I try.
Linda

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Just wanted to say I mean it. It literally takes seconds. Also I forgot to say you put the oil in all at once. You don't have to slowly drizzle it in. Linda

Barb said...

I love mayonnaise! I've never understood how anyone can eat salad dressing. I can't wait to try your recipe, it looks delicious - I have a stick blender that never gets used, so it's about time it pulled it's weight around my house! Have a wonderful week and thanks for the sweet comments on my blog - I always love hearing from you.

Blessings,
Barb

Unknown said...

Barb, If you still have the booklet to your blender there is probably a recipe in it. My stick blender came with a beaker and I think you may need that to be successful, but I'm not sure about that. Basic mayo is 1 egg or is you are concerned about raw egg you can use 1/4 c. EggBeaters. 1 tbls. lemon juice, 1/2 tbls. Dijon mustard, 1 cup oil (I used olive oil), 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. With my stick blender you just put it all in the beaker and blend, but as I said I don't know if that would work with an older one. The other method is to use a regular blender and drizzle the oil in slowly, but my dd says she always had trouble getting that to work. Good luck. Linda

Becky said...

You come up with some great ideas. I know you'll enjoy your new blender!