Friday, May 14, 2010

Snowballs


I love my snowball bush. It was one of the first things I planted when I moved here. We are past our frost date now and so I'm starting to work on my back porch container plants. I've planted one of those upside down pots for tomatoes. I put a Sweet 100 in it with little mini petunias on top. I also planted in regular pots two more tomatoes a Roma and a Yellow Pear. One of my other favorites is Lemon Cucumber so I got one of those and I'm going to try some Bush Beans this year. I replaced some of the herbs that died.
.
I've been reading a gardening book that someone suggested called "Gardening Anywhere" by Alys Fowler. She suggests that if you are starting a new garden you go slowly and find out what works for your garden before you spend too much money. So I'm going to think a little more before I do much more. I really need to do some cleaning up of some asters in my garden that are taking over and my large rosemary keeps dieing a little more each year so I'm thinking I should take it out.
.
As you can tell we have had some warm and sunny days lately, but that doesn't mean the rain or grey is over. You have to take advantage of the nice days because they don't alway stay for long.
.
Linda

5 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Linda!

Your garden sounds delightful! I can't wait to get outside and start gardening. Have you ever planted a tomato in one of the upside down pots? I have been curious about them. I think it would be fun to plant a tomato in one. Good luck with the other tomatoes you are planting, they sound so good! I can hardly wait for a tomato sandwich on fresh bread!

I love Asters, but they do tend to take over. I have never been able to get a Rosemary plant to winter good here in Idaho, I guess it's just too cold, and they don't do good just taking them inside either - I love fresh Rosemary!

We are having a beautiful day today! It's suppose to last for about a week, hopefully long enough to get through the wedding. But, like you, we have to take advantage of the warm sunny days - they are sometimes few and far between.

I was cleaning out my mothers garage yesterday and found a whole box of yarn - I was so excited! I can't wait to make the crocheted bag! She had lots of unusual colors, so it will be very interesting - I'll post it when I'm done.

Have a wonderful week-end.

Hugs,
Barb

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! Ponder_ing

Unknown said...

Barb, That's what I meant by an upside down pot. The tomato hangs out of the bottom. Enjoy the wedding, I'll be thinking about you. Linda

Becky said...

My herbs are doing well! My russian sage is blooming,my rosemary is blooming. I have an over abundance of lavendar. I'm waiting for Laura to move to her new home,and hoping she takes some of my lavendar. I read in a book or somwhere ,that in the old days,english women would lay their sheets to dry on top of lavendar,so their lines would smell like it.I tried it once last year,didn't really noticed the scent.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Just Beautiful! Snowballs are a favorite of mine! I have one bush that I planted a few years ago that's taken off. I think that's sound advice to think about your garden before investing a lot of money in it.

Manuela