Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Granny Square Christmas


This is that afghan I said I was going to make. It's one big granny square. It was really easy to make and didn't take me very long at all. I takes a lot of yarn because of it being a big square instead of a rectangle. I also made granny square ornaments. Sorry no photo, but they turned out cute. I just made a granny square and then added a loop to hang it with. I also saw an idea for an ornament that looks like an Oreo. It was made with the center two rows of the granny that looks like a flower so that it's round. I made two brown ones and one white one and they sewed them together with a hanger, placing the white one in the center of the two brown ones.

Tomorrow is our Christmas Eve. I'm making Jelly Doughnut Cupcakes today out of coconut flour. I don't know how they will turn out, but will let you know later on kitchen blog. The Flourless Orange Chocolate Cake looks good, but will see when we get to taste it. I use my dd's recipe for Flourless Cherry Chocolate Cake and just substituted orange juice for the cherry juice, zest for the cherries and a little triple sec for the cherry liquor. The recipe is on her blog here.

I made what I call my candy tea for the gd's. Last year it was candy cane. This year I asked them for their favorite hard candy flavors and made Apple Candy Tea and Chocolate Mint Candy Tea. You just crush the candy and add it to tea of your choice. I used decaf English Breakfast Tea, loose tea of course. As far as proportions I just wing it, but there was plenty of candy in them. I made my Rosemary Maple Almonds again and a pecan version without the maple syrup, but agava instead for my dd that doesn't eat sugar.

So I'm all set and packing up the gifts tomorrow. My laptop has been giving me problems so if I disappear for a while it's because I decided to take it in.

Have a good one.
Linda

3 comments:

??????????????????????????????? said...

Everything sounds wonderful...
I so hope that you have the merriest of Christmases!

Barb said...

Hi Linda!

I love granny squares. I just made a granny square afghan with some yarn that I had just taking up space in my craft closet, it turned out pretty good. But I like the idea of one big granny square! The ornament sounds really cute too! This year I made cute little crochet stars for my tree, with 4 ply yarn, so they really look kind of like velvet with the lights on the tree.

Your Christmas goodies sound very delicious! I will have to check out the recipes!

Have a very Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year!

Hugs,
Barb

Becky said...

Hi Linda, Have a Merry Christmas this year! Mine is spent with family.I've made a few things that I'm happy with the results.
Remember: Every good and perfect gift comes from above! Love,Becky