Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Dreaming of Spring



The photo is a runner my dd brought me back from San Diego. It goes beautifully with my lavender place mats. So I have a little spring in my dining room.

I'm doing well on my diet. I lost the l 1/2 that I had regained and a little more. So I hope I'll continue to lose.
I'm having fun trying new recipes. I started making creamed soups out of vegges using basically the same recipe. This week I tried Mushroom Soup that was made with both fresh and dried mushrooms. It was really good, very mushroomy. 

This morning I tried making a frittata with zucchini grated, onion and fresh tomato chopped as a garnish. It also had parm. cheese sprinkled on top before placing in the oven. It called for fresh herbs which I didn't use, to lazy to cut some, but I wish I had. I think I need a smaller fry pan to make this because they normally are made for several people and mine turned out kind of thin. I'm making Florentine Eggs next which is a slice of ham put into a muffin pan and you put in a spoonful of defrosted chopped spinach and top it with an egg and grated cheddar cheese and bake. These are SS recipes.

Besides dieting and exercising I've been decluttering. I started thinking I should scale down my possessions with the economy the way it is you never know I might have to move into something smaller some day.  I'm still cleaning out freezer and the closet in my den and now a bookcase in the den. I have a bunch of old mags. that I think I'm going to start putting into the recycle bin until they are all gone. I never look at them. If I keep any they will be the special ones to me. I love my old Country mags. I think I'll find a place for the ones I want to keep and tell myself that I can only keep what fits in that spot.

I haven't been working on my crocheted purse, just haven't been in the mood, but I'm almost finished with it .I've been printing up and saving up new crochet ideas which I would like to try. I just finished reading a series of mysteries with a crochet theme they got me even more excited about crochet. Now I'm reading another mystery series with a knitting theme. This morning I saw photos on a blog from the Tokyo quilt show. Oh my they were amazing. that is another one of those crafts I would love to do but every time I try I find it difficult. I can do a simple patchwork, but the ones in the photos were mostly appliqued. Also I find it hard to find time to do more than one craft at a time. I really shouldn't be spending money on yarns for a while so I'll have do finish up those UFO (unfinished projects). I have plenty of them. I would like to go get a Blackbird pattern book for cross stitch, they also have quilt patterns. I love there stuff, very primitive.

I don't think I've mentioned my new favorite tea by Stash  Decaf Creme Caramel and Decaf Vanilla Chai. Yummy. They've been on sale at my groc. st.

Well have a good week all and and a Happy Valentine's Day.

Linda

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Had to come back by and respond to your comment on my blog. We share the exact same birthday! I too was born on February 12th so since I am gone this week (going tomorrow morning up to Cranberry Cottage to enjoy a long weekend) may I wish you now a very happy birthday!!!

I have been going through our things and we have boxes full of items Jos is going to try and sell when the flea markets start up again in the spring. We are trying to earn some cash back while clearing out things we no longer love.

You got me crocheting. I have been using YouTube videos and already started a granny square afghan as well as finished wristies and a beret and scarf. I am also going to start a baby afghan for my new little grand niece who will come into the world this coming summer. I have a purse on my wishlist but first want to try making a cowl.

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

Barb said...

Hi Linda!

Spring will come - won't it?!

I'm so glad you are doing well on your diet, I'm sure it feels good to see those pounds coming off, all while eating delicious food - I need to dig out my Susanne Summers diet book!

I have also been in the mood to start cleaning things out and getting rid of things I just don't use anymore, I think it comes with the season. But, I agree with you, you never know what tomorrow will bring in this economy, it's kind of scary. I have always made sure that I have at least enough room to sleep 6 extra people, just in case something happens and my children have to come back home!! Not extra bedrooms, just extra room... :0) So with a hide-a-bed, an extra bedroom, and two extra beds in the basement, I feel comfortable, kids can always camp out on the floor.

I have been crocheting baby things - two baby afghans, edging around receiving blankets, and now a christening outfit for our soon to come baby boy. I hope I have time to finish it! Good luck with your projects, they are always so beautiful!

I love Stash tea - I love it even more when they are on sale!

Happy Birthday on Saturday - I hope your day if filled with love and peace!

Hugs,
Barb