Thursday, March 24, 2011

Granny Square Purse


I finally got my purse finished and I made a little coin purse to match. I lined it with fabric. It turned out really well. I'd like to make another one and maybe try some different shapes. I knitted the coin purse. I've been knitting again. I've done a wash cloth and am working on a second one. I'm also doing another scarf. I'm trying to use some of the yarn I have. I've been reading these knitting mysteries and that got me in the mood to knit again. The one I'm reading now is talking about felting and that is something I would like to try. It makes things warmer and more water tight. It's a good idea for a hat.

I'm sorry it's been so long since I've posted. I had all these medical, yearly apts., but they are done now and they didn't find any new problems so that's a relief. I've also been focused on trying to figure out how to make my budget work. I'm going to cancel my cable, just waiting for my current reality show to end, Top Chef. I don't think I'll get any reception without it. I'm tracking my spending at the groc. store and trying to figure out how to make it work on my budget. I've consistently gone over and I can't keep doing that.

I'm still reading Little House books. I finished the one written by Laura and am going to start the Rocky Ridge series about her life with her husband after they left their original home. I read about Rose and was sad to find out that she had a very different life from her mother and didn't have a happy marriage. By different life I mean her values seemed to be very different. All the things we love about her mom's life it sounds like she rejected.

Spring seems to finally be here and I'm going to start trying to get out and walk. One of the instructors at Curves is starting a walking group and so I hope to be a part of that. I've been struggling with my diet. I'm trying to get back on it. I gained back a couple of pounds, but I hope the walking will help.

I'm hoping soon to start doing some gardening again. My herbs and pansies seem to have survived the winter pretty well. The mints all turned brown, but they will come back I'm sure. I have bulbs coming up. I hope we have a better growing season this year.

I got a jar attachment for my Food Saver that you use on your canning jars to vacuum seal them. it works really well. I got it through Amazon for about $10. I've dehydrated green beans, spinach, mushrooms, peppers, zucchini chips and I'm going to do celery next. Come summer I'll do tomatoes.

We have sun today, I hope you all get some soon.

Linda

8 comments:

??????????????????????????????? said...

Gorgeous! You are so talented!

La Tea Dah said...

Your purse is beautiful --- and your resolutions inspiring! Thank you for sharing!!!!!

Lady Linda said...

Hi Linda...glad to see you posting again. The purse and the coin purse are really cute...nice job.
Sounds like you are really working on your health. That's inspiring to me. I was doing pretty good and then...poof! Gotta get back on track.
It's so hard to budget and keep things working correctly. Our economy is making things so hard-again. I guess we have to be the best steward we can be with what we have. Gas is just nuts! Makes me think about errands etc. Keep in touch.
Linda Lou

Barb said...

Hi Linda!

I love granny squares, I think they are so colorful and fun; your purse is so pretty, I love the buttons!!

It seems like so many are having to cut back these days. It's kind of scary, prices just seem to keep sky-rocketing! I pray that all will turn out well for you.

Diets . . . well, let's just say that I really need to be a little more careful with mine! I'm glad to hear that you are walking, I really, really, need to start exercising more regularly - and I would if the weather would ever cooperate... :0(

Sounds like you are ready for Spring - I am sooooo ready to get outside and start working in the yard! Can't wait to see some beautiful pictures of yours!

Hugs,
Barb

Becky said...

Hi Linda, glad your dr's appt went well

Becky said...

I'm commenting again,for some reason the 'puter wouldn't let me add anything else! I did a thourough cleaning of my house this past week, I hosted a rehearsal dinner for a friend. Needless to say, it needed it. YOur bag is beautiful, you always do great work! Just thought I'd stop by to say Hi,since I've not been on this blog for a while! Enjoy the sunny days of life!

Jenn said...

You've totally inspired me. I LOVE that purse. Is there a pattern for it? I would love to make one for me, and then my mom for Christmas. It's fantastic! The little house books have been a lifelong favorite for me too. I laughed at the WWMID (what would ma ingalls do). Thanks so much have a great day

Unknown said...

Jenn I'm happy to hear it. I just made up the pattern. I used elements from other patterns I've done. If you don't know how to do granny squares there is lots of tutorials on line. I direct you to people that inspire me on my crochet posts. I have links that might interest you there. Let me know if you have questions. Linda