Sunday, March 18, 2012

Homeliness

I was reading something that C.S. Lewis wrote about homeliness and I interpreted it as humbleness. He was talking about being able to find something good in his enemies. From that I thought grace doesn't work without humility. You have to be humble to receive grace because you have to be able to admit you need it. You have to be humble to give true grace because otherwise you are only practicing spiritual pride. So humility is really a prerequisite of true grace.

I had fun trying to interpret some of his language. In looking up homeliness it talked about being simple and I realized that our simple lifestyle that so many of us are trying to practice is  what homeliness is if it's done the right way.

Linda


1 comment:

Barb said...

Hi Linda!

I like that interpretation. I think that humility is one of those wonderful blessings that we all strive for - simplicity in all things will certainly bring us closer to God, who ultimately gives us true grace. I really need to pick up a C.S. Lewis book - you've inspired me . . . of course you always do!

Hugs,
Barb