Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Mixed Berry and Cherry Pie with Almond Flour Crust



Well I continue to experiment. I made an almond flour pie crust using this recipe by Comfy Belly. The dough rolls out very nicely but it just falls apart when you try to move it. However it is easy to push together, it just doesn't look very good.


 I expect I'll get better at it. I used plastic wrap to roll out the top and it was definitely easier to get off. I followed her recipe for the cherry filling except that I used coconut/palm sugar instead of honey and added a little water. Also I used frozen fruit and mine was a mix of berries and also cherries. I'm so happy I can make a pie now.

Barb asked if I'm on the Paleo Diet. No I'm not really I'm on a low carb, grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free diet and am able to use a lot of the Paleo Diet recipes because they are also grain-free and dairy-free sometimes, but they are not necessarily low carb so that is where I have to make adjustments, but I'm learning to substitute ingredients I can eat. I like the Paleo recipes because they do a lot of things with veggies to substitute for grains. I don't really go along with the we should eat like cave men idiology. If I could eat grain I would except for the fact that I believe it makes you gain weight and is very allergenic if you have that tendency. I'm doing dairy-free and gluten-free because of intestinal issues. I'm gotten better since I eliminated them, but still can't put them back.

Linda

Post a Comment