Sunday, May 6, 2012

Three Things Anyone Need Do-C.S.Lewis

I got my own copy of Yours, Jack. In a letter to a little girl about to receive her first hold communion he wrote, "Remember there are only three kinds of things anyone need ever do,

1.Things we ought to do.
2.Things we've got to do.
3.Things we like doing.

I say this because some people seem to spend so much of their time doing things for none of the three reasons, things like reading books they don't like because other people read them. Things you ought to do are things like doing ones school work or being nice to people. Things one has to do like dressing and undressing, or household shopping. Things one likes doing like---what do you like to do?"

For me this is a great reminder that I don't have to do everything and it's ok to do what I like to do.

He also told her, "not to worry about feelings after her first holy communion that God will give you the feelings when He wishes, just keep doing what you are told".

Another great reminder when I'm not feeling it, don't worry, God is in control.

Linda

2 comments:

Paula said...

Thank you so much for sharing this dear Linda! It really helped me a lot and I agree with your sweet words! Love, Paula

A Woman that Fears the Lord said...

I was listening to Elisabeth Elliot today on tape and she was saying the same thing concerning our feelings. She regarded it to prayer.