Monday, June 11, 2012

Jack's Life


I just finished another great book about C.S.Lewis, this one by his step son Douglas Gresham. It's called Jack's Life. It fills in some more  detail about his personal life and because Douglas is a Christian he talks about how Jack tried to live his faith.

He had a lot of trials with Mrs. Moore the lady he promised to take care of for her son who died in the war. She was very difficult, but he tried to show her Christian love even when it undermined his own health. There are some that think something was going on between him and her, but after reading this book, I think he thought of her as a mother figure.

It talks a lot about the deprivation during and after the WWII. I hadn't realized how bad it was in Britain for several years after the war ended. It makes me realize how blessed I am, even though I feel I don't have enough food money. It shows me what real deprivation is. I need to count my blessings and take care of what I have.

It makes me sad every time I read about his last years and his death, but he had found contentment in God in spite of his unhappiness at the loss of his wife. He was a remarkable man.

Linda





1 comment:

Barb said...

Hi Linda!

I'm always looking for a good book to read - C.S. Lewis is definitely on my list! Have a wonderful week, and enjoy your warm weather and blue skies!

Hugs,
Barb